Sign in to follow this  
DeezNutz

Anti-Malware Not Working

For the past week my Anti-Malware has been causing me a lot of problems. The first problem I noticed was the surf protection

not doing it's job by not blocking sites that were usually blocked before, like when visiting toptenreviews.com for example, there

was usually a notification of an address being blocked. Then I started getting messages from windows that Emsisoft reports that

it is turned off and after allowing windows to turn it on, the same message would pop up minutes later. I recently had uninstalled

Avast! through iobit's uninstaller since my subscription was soon to expire, and I felt Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Online Armor was

more than adequate. I figured it was somehow related so I uninstalled Anti-Malware and reinstaleld it, but still had the same

problems, also my mouse was becoming jittery both before and after I uninstalled/reinstalled Emsisoft. Fed up with the problems,

also since I was going to do it anyway, I reinstalled windows, also deleted each partition and formatted the new ones. Upon reinstalling

Emsisoft Anti-Malware & Online Armor I was faced with the same problems, only this time when I got the "Emsisoft reports it's turned

off", I opened Anti-Malware and saw that "File Guard" was off and the big shield was grey, when I clicked "turn on" it just flashed

and stayed off. I found someone had a similar problem here and used the advice given to handle the problem only to have file guard

turn on, and behavior guard and surf protection turn off. I uninstalled through control panel and reinstalled again. Which seems

to be working save for the fact that the surf protection again is not working.

Windows 7 64 bit sp1

Emsisoft Anti-Malware Full Version 6.5.0.11 / Online Armor 5.5.0.1557 Premium Edition

Avast! 7 Free Edition 7.0.1426

Sorry for the long explanation but I'm at a loss.

Just a few thoughts before other members post with their comments, was avast excluded in OA and EAM, and were OA and EAM excluded in Avast?

Did you try using the uninstall tool from Avast in safe mode to make sure there were no leftovers which could be causing problems?

Here's the avast page on uninstalling avast7 the uninstall tool is near the bottom.

https://support.avas...barticleid=1062

Hello DeezNutz,

because of lots of false alerts in the last weeks we changed the hostlist from the HPHosts project to the MDL (malwaredomainlist.com) project.

In this new list there are only known Malware Hosts.

But you can add the old HPHosts list for Ad/Tracking hosts manually. This method works currently only in the new betaversion Emsisoft Anti-Malware 6.5.0.15.

1. Download the file "hpHosts_export[ad-servers]-.txt" from http://hosts-file.net/ad_servers.asp and save it to your computer.

2. Open Anti-Malware and go to Guard tab Host Rules.

3. Press the link "Import hosts file" left below.

4. Press "..." and select the file "hpHosts_export[ad-servers]-.txt". Press the "Add" button.

5. Choose the action you want use, for example "Block and notify". Press "OK".

6. Restart computer.

If you have any more questions or problems, just let us know.

Just a few thoughts before other members post with their comments, was avast excluded in OA and EAM, and were OA and EAM excluded in Avast?

Did you try using the uninstall tool from Avast in safe mode to make sure there were no leftovers which could be causing problems?

Here's the avast page on uninstalling avast7 the uninstall tool is near the bottom.

https://support.avas...barticleid=1062

Avast was not excluded within these programs as there was never any conflicts between them, and vice versa. I did not use that tool then but I used it earlier

to uninstall Avast! Free Edition. But I still recieved a "Emsisoft reports that it's turned off" just a little while ago. Could any hardware failure be somehow responsible? Since my mouse has been lagging a bit also.

Hello DeezNutz,

because of lots of false alerts in the last weeks we changed the hostlist from the HPHosts project to the MDL (malwaredomainlist.com) project.

In this new list there are only known Malware Hosts.

But you can add the old HPHosts list for Ad/Tracking hosts manually. This method works currently only in the new betaversion Emsisoft Anti-Malware 6.5.0.15.

1. Download the file "hpHosts_export[ad-servers]-.txt" from http://hosts-file.net/ad_servers.asp and save it to your computer.

2. Open Anti-Malware and go to Guard tab Host Rules.

3. Press the link "Import hosts file" left below.

4. Press "..." and select the file "hpHosts_export[ad-servers]-.txt". Press the "Add" button.

5. Choose the action you want use, for example "Block and notify". Press "OK".

6. Restart computer.

If you have any more questions or problems, just let us know.

Thank you! This seems to have fixed THAT problem, which was a big one, but i'm still wondering what could have caused Emsisoft to be turned off, or report

it had been.

Thank you both very much for your reponses and help :)

I did a scan with Spyware Doctor and this came up, "HeurEngine.ZeroDayThreat" (C:\Program Files (x86)\Emsisoft Anti-Malware\resource.dll)

It showed up during the scan but not after, I had to view the history to find it. I did the scan because after a few days of no problems, the "Emsisoft reports that it's turned off"

came up again.

it's job by not blocking sites that were usually blocked before, like when visiting toptenreviews.com for example, there

was usually a notification of an address being blocked.

Sorry for the long explanation but I'm at a loss.

I just did a virustotal.com url search for www.toptenreviews.com, and it's 0/24 (100% clean)!?

You might try for a different infected site, but I'd surf with safe free sandboxie (virtual- no write to HD!)!

http://www.sandboxie.com/

Thanks Christian, but I still don't understand what's causing Emsisoft to report it's turned off, even after reinstalling it and windows 7.

Hey Scottls1, thanks, I'll have to check that out!