qwerty

"Discovering network. Wait, please ..." (OA blocks all traffic)

Hello,

I've just replaced a DSL modem router and everything is working perfectly, except for when the desktop machine has OA firewall enabled.

Somehow, and in some way, OA is blocking all traffic from the machine. The only way for the desktop machine to access the internet (or the router) is to disable OA's firewall. With the firewall enabled, the firewall log shows everything allowed and nothing blocked.

Upon opening the OA UI, I can see under the "Interfaces" tab, the new network, however the description simply says "Discovering network. Wait, please ..." This never changes. I have tried toggling the "Trusted" option, to no avail. I've tried setting to "Trusted" and then reconnecting. I've tried using the "Reset list" option under the "Computers" tab. I've tried disabling "New networks discovery", in which case the description changes to the connection name, followed by the NIC model, but the connection is no more usable. The Firewall Status screen (for what it's worth) shows an "Active connection", and occasionally even shows 1 connection in the upper right graph, but nothing happens.

Windows XP, SP3. OA v4.5.1.431 (I'm aware that a newer version is available).

Have I failed to reconfigure something? How is the firewall blocking traffic without registering it?

Having found the firewall log file, it contains numerous pieces of information that are somehow hidden when viewing the firewall log.

OA seems to be blocking all data from/to the router on the basis "Blocked (fake MAC)".

Looking through the 1 remaining log file from the previous router, this also contains several "Blocked (fake MAC)" entries, suggesting that it was working (blocking) correctly before, but has some trouble with the new router for some reason.

Hello qwerty,

Would unticking "Filter invalid MAC addresses" checkbox (at Options->Firewall) help you with this issue?

Hello Andrew,

Yes, I imagine that would function as a workaround, and I was looking for such an option myself. Your suggestion implies that there is such an option, but as this installation has lapsed to free, the option has been removed (though remaining active). Can I disable this via the config file(s)? I've also looked for them, but couldn't find any (e.g.) .ini files.

Christian - I will e-mail you the file now.

Hello Andrew,

Yes, I imagine that would function as a workaround, and I was looking for such an option myself. Your suggestion implies that there is such an option, but as this installation has lapsed to free, the option has been removed (though remaining active). Can I disable this via the config file(s)? I've also looked for them, but couldn't find any (e.g.) .ini files.

Christian - I will e-mail you the file now.

Hello qwerty,

Please see PM.

Hello qwerty,

Please see PM.

Thank you.

With regard to the blocking events in the firewall logfile (I've found an old logfile relating to the old router, which seems to contain genuine events), does each event consist of a line stating the MAC addresses involved, followed by a line stating the IP addresses involved? (They often occur in blocks, so it can be hard to tell them apart.)

Also, does the MAC address on the left, belong to the IP address on the left, the MAC address on the right, belong to the IP address on the right and the arrow indicate the direction (<- for incoming, -> for outgoing)? Finally, there doesn't seem to be any association with a program, why is that?

To anyone still interested in this topic......

I had this issue also when I migrated from XP SP3 to Windows 7 SP1 x64. This is what worked for me:

1) Uninstalled Online Armor.

2) Using my web browser, went into my wireless router's control panel; released the main IP address, then renewed the IP address.

3) Still in the router control panel, released the DHCP client list, then refreshed the DHCP client list (it was empty afterwards).

4) Back in Windows, acquired a command prompt screen.

5) entered "ipconfig /release", then entered "ipconfig /renew".

6) Re-installed Online Armor.

I don't know if all of these steps were necessary, or some of them, or even one of them. However, after doing all of these gyrations, Online Armor recognized my network. This problem is bigger than it initially looks because it affects more than the firewall settings panel. It also completely disables the real-time network status display, which I have found to be invaluable in diagnosing various comm issues on a number of occasions.

Hope this helps......

By the way ts1sds is it Win 7 Home edition that you are using?? I too had a frustrating experience earlier with the Win 7 Home edition , OA combo (in fact you can see a similiar thread some where back in time.) No much help was forthcoming , because the problem seems to strike a few at random and not general. In my case if I uninstalled OA and also the OA helper driver , WIn 7 itself failed to recognise the other Networks , explorer drawing a blank. :o . I had to install OA to get Windows explorer see the Networks. Seems strange , yet true. Of course after upgrading to another version of Win 7 , I first checked whether all Networks are visible and only then proceeded to install OA.

Since it is working fine for you,well. But I doubt it had anything to do with a particular router. For me it would refuse to work anywhere. :)

Hi, trujwin.... Yes, I am using Win 7 Home Edition. As I said, I'm not sure what combination of any of that worked, however my Windows 7 had no problem operating the network at all. I had file sharing and printing working with 3 computers. The problem was just in OA. You're correct in stating that the problem has nothing to do with the physical router or the network definition. If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say that something in the DHCP environment confused OA, and refreshing the client tables and the IP address seemed to set it back on point.