Hi All -

I have been trying to solve rhis dliemma for months. When opening mu AOL program, the screen comes up blank (black), and often trying to open links within AOL mail, I get a blank white screen. I am able to open my AOL mail.

I do not know for sure, that this has anything to do at all, with my Emsisoft Anti-Malware program, but I'm wondering if it is. I have checked the logs and quarantines, and rules in place, but have not yet found the issue. That being said, I'm not sure I know what I'm looking for either, that would be preventing my AOL from opening.

I have researched this problem so many times, and have done all of the following so far, none of which has solved my problem:

• Rebuild AOL Adapter
  • Clear AOL Artwork Database
  • Uninstall and reinstall the AOL software
  • Enable only essential startup programs
  • Temporarily disable your firewall or configure McAfee
  • Disable SystemGuard using McAfee
  • Set the modem to v.34 connection speed
  • Contact your computer manufacturer
  • Run Quick Restore

I have also checked my system's Firewall. I'm not sure if that needs to be on at all with having my Emsisoft program? I made sure it was allowing anything AOL related.

Do you have any suggestions how to fix this? I am able to get to AOL.com through my Firefox, but it's not being able to click on any links within my aol mail, that is really frustrating and not time-efficient. I would appreciate anyone helping me fix this once and for all.

~ Laura

Yes-forgive me forgetting to mention.....I also have free AVG installed and active. I was told it was recommended to keep that active as well. I have attempted to look into that as well, to see if it was blocking the AOL, but did not find that it was. But again, I'm not sure I was checking correctly.

OK, here's a way that you can determine whether or not Emsisoft Anti-Malware is causing the issue:

1. Right-click on the little Emsisoft Anti-Malware icon in the lower-right corner of the screen (down by the clock), and select Shut down guard.
  2. Hold down the little Windows key on your keyboard (usually in between the Ctrl and Alt keys) and then tap the R key.
  3. The Run dialog should open. Type services.msc in the field and then click the OK button.
  4. A list of services should open. The list is in alphabetical order. Scroll down until you see a service named Emsisoft Anti-Malware 6.0 - service.
  5. Right click on Emsisoft Anti-Malware 6.0 - service and select Stop from the menu.

After that, Emsisoft Anti-Malware will be completely disabled. Please test and see if disabling Emsisoft Anti-Malware like that has an effect on your AOL issue.

I see that you list "microsoft firewall" under HIPS.

Actually, windows firewall doesnt offer any HIPS, that´s why it´s a good idea to use another,program, fx. Online Armor (OA) in combination with windows firewall,

and then turn off OA´s firewall and just use the Program shield.

But which settings are you using for windows firewall ?

Are all outgoing connections allowed or have you setup any "rules" for outgoing and incoming connections ?

Hackerman1 - I'm sorry, but I don't know what HIPS is? I'm trying to follow what you're telling me. Are you saying I should use Online Armor instead of AVG?

Sorry, I'm not real knowledgable with this stuff, but I'm trying.

The only Emsisoft Rules I have set up are either Excluded or Monitored.

Hackerman1 - I'm sorry, but I don't know what HIPS is?

I noticed that since you listed windows firewall under "HIPS"... ;)

HIPS=Host Intrusion Prevention System.

google "HIPS".

Then you can find some good info that explains it.

I'm trying to follow what you're telling me. Are you saying I should use Online Armor instead of AVG?

No.

I said that windows firewall doesn´t have any HIPS....

And that´s why it´s a good idea to use another program, fx. Online Armor (OA) in combination with windows firewall, because OA has HIPS.

OA´s Program Guard=HIPS

And if you do so, then turn off OA´s firewall and just use the Program shield, because you should not use 2 firewalls.

Are you with me now ?

The only Emsisoft Rules I have set up are either Excluded or Monitored.

I meant windows firewall, have you setup any rules for the firewall ?

I see you must have been following the list of things to try here

http://help.aol.com/help/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=219975

What version of Internet Explorer do you have and does it work?

Is McAfee firewall still installed?

Also have you tried uninstalling the AOL Desktop Software as shown here?

http://help.aol.com/help/microsites/microsite.do?cmd=displayKCPopup&docType=kc&externalId=16242

It seems as though it may be that it is not EAM causing this as it seems to be an issue quite a few AOL users have had.