DrBB01

Browsers Unhappy after OA Update

I am running OA Free on two PCs, and recently upgraded to the most recent version (5.5.0.1616) but am only having the following problem on one. My main browser is Firefox 13.1, but I seem to have similar problems with IE and Chrome on this PC as well. When I try to start Firefox, it freezes for about two minutes then opens a window with the following message:

A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete. Script: chrome://foxtab/content/AC_Flash.js:94

If I click, "Stop," and then navigate to some websites, the problem seems to go away. Typically, I go to check my gmail account, and Firefox freezes again, suggesting there is something about that type of site (javascript, perhaps?) that OA does not seem to like. I have searched the web for similar errors, found a few, but none of the solutions I have found seem to be relevant to my situation.

In troubleshooting the problem, I disabled various OA settings (firewall, programs, web shield, activated "learning mode") with no effect. However, if I close OA completely, I can then start my browser without a problem! In addition, after I launch my browser, if I restart OA nothing freezes!

Additional information: I downloaded another copy of OA from the Esmisoft website and did a "clean install" (I have had problems with upgrades before) with no change. I have also run Avast! successfully with OA for years, ensuring each program's settings plays nicely with the other, so unless there is something new in either (or both), this is unlikely to be the source of the problem. I allow and/or trusted every Flash update program or service whenever I update Flash. I check OA and do not see any unusual Flash blocks.

The fact that another PC is not experiencing this problem has made this issue more difficult to troubleshoot. Any troubleshooting suggestions are appreciated. At least I have a workaround (closing OA before opening browser, etc...) but there has to be a better solution. :huh:

UPDATE: Went to check email without closing Firefox, but after restarting OA and froze. Had no problem in this forum. What's different?

hackerman1-- Your response was like deja vue from several years ago when Avast and OA did not play well together at all. I closed various shields one at a time until Firefox ran fine: the Avast! Behavioral Shield. Further observation suggested that it didn't like my extensions and add-ons any more. After "trusting" three extensions, I stopped and just closed the behavioral shield down for now. I'll play around with it when I have more time over the next few days. I posted this finding in the Avast Forum (http://forum.avast.c...?topic=100851.0); we'll see what I hear. In the meantime, I still don't understand why shutting down OA completely (not the individual components) had the same effect.

At least I'm making progress. Thanks for your idea! :)

Try unchecking "Monitor the system for unauthorized modifications" in the Avast Behavior Shield expert settings and see if it helps.

DrBB01: are you using "Mutual exclusions", have you told both Avast & OA to ignore each other ?

if you haven´t, then you might have problems with Avast´s Behavior Shield.

if i remember correctly, i had some problems myself until i created "mutual exclusions".

Hackerman 1 said:

a lot of people, including me, have had problems with Firefox 13.01 & Adobe Flash Player 11.3.

The problem seems to have been solved by retrograding Adobe Flash back to 10.3 from 11.3. This was not a trivial process because even when I disabled Avast!, my browsers were struggling to keep from crashing before the old Flash was downloaded. I think there was also a conflict between Flash and Java, but I'm not going there.... Although my problems began with Firefox, they quickly spread to Chrome. Since the retrograde (about five hours ago), everything looks stable.

Thank you all for you other suggestions--it was one of those situations where Flash seemed to be interacting with all the other applications so it was hard to tell which one was the primary cause.

Flash is really beginning to suck.... Mmmm_Brains_by_rickyrico.gif

Good to hear that it works now.

After people reported those 11.3-problems Adobe released a "fix", a new upgraded 11.3-version that didn´t "fix" anything.

So i went back to the old 10.2-version.

DrBB01: are you using "Mutual exclusions", have you told both Avast & OA to ignore each other ?

if you haven´t, then you might have problems with Avast´s Behavior Shield.

Have you also created "Mutual exclusions" now ?

If not, then i recommend that you do it.