scottls1

Questions on Advanced Data Caching Safety!?

Advanced Caching somehow remembers which files... have been scaned, and doesn't scan them again....

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have some concerns about the Safety of using AC!?-

Q1- What kind of files does AC remember?

Q2- Does AC just remember file names... for no re-scan, or does it re-scan All files that have changed...?

Q3- If a new Virus Definition gets downloaded, for a file that had previously been infected-

How will it ever find the virus, if AC says it doesn't get scanned again?

Q4- I do notice that there is alott of HD clicking for a few min., immediately after a Definition Update.

Does a DU trigger some kind of Full Silent scan?-

If so, what kind of scan is it, and what files get scanned?

Q1- What kind of files does AC remember?

Executable files only.

Q2- Does AC just remember file names... for no re-scan, or does it re-scan All files that have changed...?

Files are rescanned whenever their contents change.

Q3- If a new Virus Definition gets downloaded, for a file that had previously been infected-

How will it ever find the virus, if AC says it doesn't get scanned again?

It doesn't. But to qualify for inclusion in the cache the file must be detected to be clean multiple times over an extended period of time before it is considered for caching. So it is highly unlikely that a malware file is cached.

Q4- I do notice that there is alott of HD clicking for a few min., immediately after a Definition Update.

Does a DU trigger some kind of Full Silent scan?-

If so, what kind of scan is it, and what files get scanned?

It isn't. The IKARUS engine is rebuilding it's signature database which includes decrypting and unpacking the current t3sigs.vdb, applying the differential updates obtained from the online update as well as packing and encrypting the newly generated database and saving it to disk.

• Upvote 1

Executable files only.

Files are rescanned whenever their contents change.

It doesn't. But to qualify for inclusion in the cache the file must be detected to be clean multiple times over an extended period of time before it is considered for caching. So it is highly unlikely that a malware file is cached.

Thank you for the Detailed Reply!- I'll enable AC, and see if my daily scan times improve ("over an extended period of time..."?)?

Q?- How long an extended period of time, and if # of scans dependent?- How Many scans?