Sign in to follow this  
soilentgreen

Problem with two Updates of windows 7.

Platform: x86

The language for Emsisoft is English

Hi to all.

I have a strange problem.

When I Install these updets (KB691442 and KB2640148), EAM and OA does not work- the Symbols does not Appears. (after I restarting the Computer)

When I try to open EAM and OA through the shortcuts, I get an error "access was not approved".

When I unistall the updets everything fine (after I restarting the Computer)- This happened to someone?

I spoke with microsoft, and they have no solution.

They told me to check this problem with you.

Hope you can help me.

Thank you.

We were able to reproduce the problem. It is indeed triggered by KB2691442. On all our systems though the problem resolved itself after the second reboot. On that reboot Online Armor will alert about a new shell32.dll found. In the alert displayed by Online Armor select to trust the file and allow it.

On my system, I had two MS services blocked during the reboot after the installs of MS updates yesterday. Unlike your systems there, there was no popups from OA on any boots (did restart the system several times to check) and both EAM / OA may have been running but there was no UI available. I had to boot into Safe Mode and do a system restore to before the MS updates, check what OA had blocked, change those to trusted, put OA into Learning mode and then install all the updates again (tried once without Learning mode but the system came back as the first MS updates attempt - desktop loads somewhat but the user has no access to any programs or services).

If files are updated during boot / restart it seems that OA has no way to verify that they are safe?????

If files are updated during boot / restart it seems that OA has no way to verify that they are safe?????

That pretty much is spot on. The problem is that various Windows sub systems aren't fully initialized during boot so we can't verify all sources we usually use to automatically classify applications. Therefore those applications are blocked. We already issued an update today that will prevent this problem from occurring on most systems. If you installed the Windows update before we issued the update though and Online Armor doesn't alert about the new SHELL32.DLL even after the second reboot, you can easily fix the problem by just starting into safe mode and deleting the oawatch.dll and oawatch64.dll from the Online Armor directory. On the next reboot the system should start up just fine and you will be able to set the trust status of SHELL32.DLL within Online Armor manually through the "Programms" settings. The deleted files are restored on your next online update.

Hi Fabian,

Thank you for the response.

I Install KB2691442, and after the first reboot it work fine.

OA didn't alert about a new shell32.dll.

After that I installed the second updet that caused the same problem- KB2640148, and again after the first reboot it also work fine.

It so Strange, what has changed?

Shortly after your first report we released an updated white list file that makes sure the problem doesn't happen for anyone installing the update after your report. That is why it went perfectly fine when you tried to install it later.