Sign in to follow this  
0strodamus

Directory Opus Context Menu Icon

Hi, I just wanted to let you guys know that in Directory Opus's context menu the "Scan with Anti-Malware" icon looks to be far off to the left of the menu. I have several other context menu extensions as seen in the attached screenshot and they are all fine. In Windows XP SP3 Explorer, the icon displays properly. This is not a high priority concern to me, but would be nice if it was fixed. Thanks and keep up the great work with this wonderful program!

The context menu entry works OK with Windows Explorer, so there shouldn't be anything wrong with it. I'll ask our developers if they might know the reason for this.

Directory Opus responded to my inquiry at their support forum.

It's because they are drawing it to the left of where the API is asking it to be drawn.

We actually try to handle that, since some context menu handlers do the same thing while others draw it where they are told. We ask things to draw in the right half of a space that is twice as wide as it needs to be... But because in this case it drawing in the left half of that space, but also drawing an icon that is wider than icons are supposed to be, parts of its icon are drawing into the right-hand side of the space, which makes Opus assume the handler has drawn in the correct place.

(I'm not sure why they are custom-drawing the icon at all, really, since Windows has had a better way to add icons to context menus for over 10 years now, by just providing an icon handle and allowing the host program to render it as needed. But if they want to custom-draw it, they just need to respect the X coordinates that are passed to the API and/or ensure the icon is not wider than the system's icon metrics allow.)

I'm hoping this info helps you guys understand why this is happening in Directory Opus. I'm sure for a security program, this has to be a very low priority issue. Without sounding like this issue is caused by your program and not theirs, I'll keep my fingers crossed that this is an easy fix that will be worth your time to at least take a look at.

I've informed our developers of this, and they will take a look as soon as they are able to. ;)

OK, our developers have taken a look at the message you posted for them, and they will look into a fix as soon as possible.

• Upvote 1