Umbra

EAM v7 Beta new engine

Hi,

I would like to know what is the new engine used for v7, is it still Ikarus or a new one? rumors said it may be Bit Defender's one.

some indications for us? :D

Hello Umbra Corp.! :)

Yup, it's Bitdefender's engine.

I don't know about detection rate, but there will be less fps for sure. :)

• Upvote 1

very glad to hear that ! yes sure less FPs , good move from Emsisoft.

BD detection is quite high, during our tests, old EAM (with Ikarus) average score is around 85-95% against zero-days/1 days malwares; with BD i think it will be higher.

I am not happy to see yet another company using Bitdefender, get´s easier for virus writer out there to bypass more and more products as so many are using Bitdefender.

I sure hope I am wrong, as I in the last couple of years considered EAM to be the best out there, time and tests will tell.

/W

BitDefender is Best single-engine antivirus. after it was Kaspersky, Avira, ESET, Norton or..., but I think None of them were good for Emsisoft.

BitDefender is best for EAM

light, fast, powerful, high-tech

I am not happy to see yet another company using Bitdefender, get´s easier for virus writer out there to bypass more and more products as so many are using Bitdefender.

This isn't really an issue in our case as we only use the Bitdefender scan engine and signatures and added all our improvements like anti-rootkit technology, behavior blocking, the Emsisoft scan engine etc. on top of it. So even if malware authors patch Bitdefender detections, it doesn't mean one of our other detection layers won't catch it.

To get an idea on how efficient our added technology actually is just take a look here:

MRG-Effitas-Flash-Tests-2012-Zero-Hour5.png

• Upvote 2

BitDefender is Best single-engine antivirus. after it was Kaspersky, Avira, ESET, Norton or..., but I think None of them were good for Emsisoft.

i agree, Bit Defender engine is very good now, Roboscan, Immunet plus, Gdata and others use it and score quite well on detection tests. Kaspersky is known to be heavy, Avira may be a good choice, but as Ikarus, it has many false positive when set on High heuristic(EAM shift from Ikarus for that reason) , ESET is avery good one but doesn't share their technology, Norton engine is in the same case, afaik.

Hello!

Tell me, please, do not change the compatibility with other means of protection?

MBAM?

actually using it alongside ESET NOD32 , no problems so far.

To get an idea on how efficient our added technology actually is just take a look here:

Just to clarify, does this mean the current ongoing flash tests are using the beta version with the BD engine?

Thanks Fabian. I read this thread before reading the blog and finding out that the new beta was just released today. Oops. :blush:

I can't wait to try the new beta later this week when I get back on my PC!

Is there a way to download the beta installer or is updating through the v6 interface the only way to do it? During the update, do the Ikarus definitions and leftovers get cleanly removed from the PC? Is there a way to manually verify that everything went smoothly during the update?

Also any more details on the improved surf protection? Are you guys no longer using hphosts? Is it an in-house maintained list?

Sorry for all the questions! :-)

Hello!

Tell me, please, do not change the compatibility with other means of protection?

MBAM?

I've been running EAM 7 alongside MBAM, and there are no issues. I also installed the 1.65.0.1000 beta of MBAM last night, and updated EAM 7 to the latest beta version today. So far everything is working just like it did in EAM 6.x with previous versions of MBAM. As far as I can tell, the switch from the Ikarus engine to BitDefender's engine has not caused any changes in compatibility with other AV software (or at least it hasn't impaired it any).

Is there a way to download the beta installer or is updating through the v6 interface the only way to do it?

No actual installer has been created for EAM 7 yet (at least not that I am aware of). Right now the easiest way to get EAM 7 beta is to install EAM 6.6 and enable beta updates.

LOL, Bitdefender is not known for being light!! I hope the engine by itself is a lot lighter than the complete product!

LOL, Bitdefender is not known for being light!! I hope the engine by itself is a lot lighter than the complete product!

BD 2013 much lighter than before, In addition, I think the BD engine is not heavy, BD applications due to high features is heavy, Because many antiviruses use of BD engine and are light like "roboscan"

To get an idea on how efficient our added technology actually is just take a look here: (see post #6 above)

It's never been apparent from those MRG tests if those missed by Ikarus T3 (and what will be missed by BD) were caught by a2engine, the Behavior Blocker or Surf Protection - not that it matters in the grand scheme of their tests.

But, I've often wondered why you Emsisofters think you need another engine at all. ;)

Looking forward to upgrading when the non-beta is released.

Cheers.

Speaking of Bit Defender, will you be incorporating into Surf Protection their blacklists as currently used, for one, in their TrafficLight browser extensions? Or will you continue with the DNS-BH Malware Domain Blocklist? I pray you never return to hpHosts.

The engine is a lot lighter than the finished BitDefender products. We're using their detection engine, and tying it in to our existing technology, so it shouldn't have any real performance impact.

The engine is a lot lighter than the finished BitDefender products. We're using their detection engine, and tying it in to our existing technology, so it shouldn't have any real performance impact.
I just compared memory usage between the normal (using Ikarus) and beta (using BitDefender) version and I do not see any noticeable difference.

i agree, Bit Defender engine is very good now, Roboscan, Immunet plus, Gdata and others use it and score quite well on detection tests. Kaspersky is known to be heavy, Avira may be a good choice, but as Ikarus, it has many false positive when set on High heuristic(EAM shift from Ikarus for that reason) , ESET is avery good one but doesn't share their technology, Norton engine is in the same case, afaik.

I'm sorry if my English is really bad :D

I'm using Kaspersky Pure 2.0 (default setting), since 5 months ago, and it doesn't slow down my overall system at all (it is very light to me).

I don't use Emsisoft Anti-Malware 6.6.0.4 to my primary security software, because it doesn't block add banner, and slow down my overall system but Emsisoft Anti-Malware is the best malware scanner, that i ever know. It can scan almost all malware that i know, but can't remove any malware (Kaspersky Pure 2.0 can remove it)...

Kaspersky is really bad to scan files, USB and etc (i test it), but very few in false-positives.

Emsisoft Anti-Malware 6.6.0.4 can detect any malwares (not false-positives) that Kaspersky Pure 2.0 can't detect! (i test it)

I set a2service.exe to manual (I only use Emsisoft Anti-Malware to scan any files, because of the memory and can't block add banner).

look at this image :

Top : Emsisoft Anti-Malware 6.6.0.4

Middle : Kaspersky Pure 2.0

Bottom : COMODO Internet Security 2012

COMODO Internet Security 2012 is the best personal firewall that I've ever used! (i test it)

I'm sorry if I made ​​some mistakes :)

I just share my opinion...

Thanks!

Any time frame when it is likely to go to a final release ?

Everyone i speak to seems to be very happy with V7.

The final version of Emsisoft Anti-Malware 7.0 will be published as soon as we are confident of its stability. Therefore we are not able to disclose a fixed release date at this time.

I really hope soon, because I am using the beta now for a couple of days and it seems to work very well and light!!

I am very glad with this product.

Thanks

Bokkie123

Hi, bokkie123!

Can you shot the a2guard.exe & a2service.exe memory usages in task manager, please? :)

I'm very curious!

I'm using Emsisoft Anti-Malware 6.6.0.4 (Stable)

Thanks!

Hi, bokkie123!

Can you shot the a2guard.exe & a2service.exe memory usages in task manager, please? :)

I'm very curious!

Thanks!

Hello Jessarrons,

I am pleased to show you the results, they are using pretty low memory and cpu. Working like a charm together....online armor + Antimalware = great combination!

I don't know how to add a printscreen in here but it shows me:

a2guard.exe : 340kb and no cpu usage

a2service.exe : 15.268kb and no cpu usage as well (idle)

As you can see pretty low.

Just give it a try.

Good luck.

Hi, bokkie123!

I'm very curious!

Thanks!

Sometimes the a2service.exe is even less then 4mb.

Cheers

Cheers

The boot time is also very fast , but in my Virtual Machine I fell that there is a lot of cpu usage during updates.

Just a question to Emsisoft developers:

Why the memory usage drops so much after a update ? ( the first update after boot)

Hoping it isnt faking low memory usage using Page File , I have 8 gb of ram and I want it used :lol:

Why the memory usage drops so much after a update ? ( the first update after boot)

Hoping it isnt faking low memory usage using Page File , I have 8 gb of ram and I want it used :lol:

We do page out signatures that haven't been used in a while to reduce memory consumption. If you don't mind EAM holding all signatures in RAM you can disable this memory optimization in the settings (Configuration/General).

Hello Jessarrons,

I am pleased to show you the results, they are using pretty low memory and cpu. Working like a charm together....online armor + Antimalware = great combination!

I don't know how to add a printscreen in here but it shows me:

a2guard.exe : 340kb and no cpu usage

a2service.exe : 15.268kb and no cpu usage as well (idle)

As you can see pretty low.

Just give it a try.

Good luck.

Cheers

Thanks, bokkie123! :)

Now, Emsisoft Anti Malware 7.0 b is really good in memory usages, but I'll patiently wait for the stable release :rolleyes:

To upload the image, use more reply option -> Attach Files, etc.

I'm very curious!

Thanks!

Here's some screenshots showing a2service.exe memory usage from EAM 7 in Windows 7 x64.

From Task Manager:

From Windows 7 Resource Monitor:

From Microsoft's Process Explorer:

The memory usage is looking much lower, although as Fabian mentioned it does "page out signatures that haven't been used in a while to reduce memory consumption", so the entire database is not loaded into physical memory. ;)

ok I'm using 7.0.06 and I created the scan log, so it is not bad, but the scan is too long may the fault of BD as a very good program - I had not long ago and it turned out to be total defeat - the program an empty shell.

Emsisoft Anti-Malware - Version 7.0

Last update: 2012-08-31 11:52:18 p.m.

Scanner settings:

Scan Type: Thorough Scan

Objects: Rootkits, Memory, Traces, C: \, D: \

Riskware Detect: Off

Scan compressed files: Enabled

ADS Scan: On

File extensions: Off

Advanced caching: Enabled

Direct disk access: Off

Scan started: 2012-08-31 11:59:47 p.m.

Scanned: 445504

Detected: 0

End of the scan: 2012-09-01 0:28:14

Scan continued: 0:28:27

Why was not chosen Comodo program - in this combination wins it all:

......matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php

BitDefender Results:

.....av-comparatives.org/images/docs/avc_prot_201207_en.pdf

.....av-comparatives.org/images/docs/avc_prot_2012a_en.pdf

Fabian on your picture in position BitDefender is apparently high false alarm line, so I'm not sure choice BD is good idea.

About using memory EAM 7: 12320 kb

( ..... put in place dots - http://www.)

Thanks, bokkie123! :)

Now, Emsisoft Anti Malware 7.0 b is really good in memory usages, but I'll patiently wait for the stable release :rolleyes:

To upload the image, use more reply option -> Attach Files, etc.

Ok thanks for the info!!! Will try it next time.....have a good weekend!

Cheers

ok I'm using 7.0.06 and I created the scan log, so it is not bad, but the scan is too long may the fault of BD as a very good program - I had not long ago and it turned out to be total defeat - the program an empty shell.

Emsisoft Anti-Malware - Version 7.0

Last update: 2012-08-31 11:52:18 p.m.

Scanner settings:

Scan Type: Thorough Scan

Objects: Rootkits, Memory, Traces, C: \, D: \

Riskware Detect: Off

Scan compressed files: Enabled

ADS Scan: On

File extensions: Off

Advanced caching: Enabled

Direct disk access: Off

Scan started: 2012-08-31 11:59:47 p.m.

Scanned: 445504

Detected: 0

End of the scan: 2012-09-01 0:28:14

Scan continued: 0:28:27

Why was not chosen Comodo program - in this combination wins it all:

......matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php

BitDefender Results:

.....av-comparatives.org/images/docs/avc_prot_201207_en.pdf

.....av-comparatives.org/images/docs/avc_prot_2012a_en.pdf

Fabian on your picture in position BitDefender is apparently high false alarm line, so I'm not sure choice BD is good idea.

About using memory EAM 7: 12320 kb

( ..... put in place dots - http://www.)

Did you also check this av-comparatives report?

http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/docs/avc_fps_201203_en.pdf

Bitdefender never generates false positives.

Cheers

This isn't really an issue in our case as we only use the Bitdefender scan engine and signatures and added all our improvements like anti-rootkit technology, behavior blocking, the Emsisoft scan engine etc. on top of it. So even if malware authors patch Bitdefender detections, it doesn't mean one of our other detection layers won't catch it.

I removed the picture from the quote...

And which test are you referring to ?

What was tested in that test ?

References, please !

No issues here with the beta. Installed and updated smoothly. Scans are fast. So far, this version feels as light on my system as v6. I like how the new menu minimizes to the left, but still shows the icons for each item. This is obviously minor, but IMHO on a system with antialiasing disabled, the old version had a more visually appealing font for the menu items.

I'll report back if I encounter any issues, but so far another job well done to the Emsisoft crew! :thumbs:

We do page out signatures that haven't been used in a while to reduce memory consumption. If you don't mind EAM holding all signatures in RAM you can disable this memory optimization in the settings (Configuration/General).

Re?: If you don't mind EAM holding all signatures in RAM you can disable this memory optimization in the settings (Configuration/General).

Q1?- Does this mean that EAM V6 Is or Is not holding all signatures in RAM with default settings?

Q2?- If the answer= Is not- How much RAM would the 7.4million... signatures use (I'm W7 32bit- 4gigs of RAM, and 2.61gigs Physical available)?

Q2a?- What would the Performance increase"s" be...?

Guest MousePad

I'm sorry if my English is really bad :D

I'm using Kaspersky Pure 2.0 (default setting), since 5 months ago, and it doesn't slow down my overall system at all (it is very light to me).

I don't use Emsisoft Anti-Malware 6.6.0.4 to my primary security software, because it doesn't block add banner, and slow down my overall system but Emsisoft Anti-Malware is the best malware scanner, that i ever know. It can scan almost all malware that i know, but can't remove any malware (Kaspersky Pure 2.0 can remove it)...

Kaspersky is really bad to scan files, USB and etc (i test it), but very few in false-positives.

Emsisoft Anti-Malware 6.6.0.4 can detect any malwares (not false-positives) that Kaspersky Pure 2.0 can't detect! (i test it)

I set a2service.exe to manual (I only use Emsisoft Anti-Malware to scan any files, because of the memory and can't block add banner).

look at this image :

Top : Emsisoft Anti-Malware 6.6.0.4

Middle : Kaspersky Pure 2.0

Bottom : COMODO Internet Security 2012

COMODO Internet Security 2012 is the best personal firewall that I've ever used! (i test it)

I'm sorry if I made ​​some mistakes :)

I just share my opinion...

Thanks!

i thought a bug was on my screen

LOL