wghornsby

WIN7 SP1 question

I understand Service Pack 1 is required for installation on Windows 7, but the problem is that, because I had been staying up-to-date through automatic Windows Updates, the security components of SP1 were apparently installed piecemeal over time, never as a single bundle via SP1 (see http://krebsonsecurity.com/2011/02/before-you-install-windows-7-service-pack-1/).

I discovered this when I tried to follow Microsoft's recommendations for installing SP1 using Windows Update (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/install-windows-7-service-pack-1) which says to click "Check for updates"; if SP1 is required it will be displayed as "Service Pack for Microsoft Windows (KB976932)". This update is not there.

Do you have any recommendations?

Service Packs usually include many more changes than just a set of individual patches that are available for standalone downloads, so you should really try to install the full service pack correctly.

If there is no way around, you can bypass the service pack check on the Emsisoft Anti-Malware setup using an additional run parameter:

EmsisoftAntiMalwareSetup.exe /SKIPSERVICEPACKCHECK

However note, that this is not recommended to use at all and we can't support you if you have any stability issues caused by the outdated operating system. During development we don't test the software with outdated systems as virus protection makes only sense if the operating system fundaments are current and safe.

Hi wghornsby,

If SP1 doesn't download & install correctly, here is a nice little trick to get it in or REPAIR your Win 7 installation if it's broken without wiping out anything else installed on your computer.

You can use an option I have used perfectly in the past on Win 7, which is a Non-Destructive re-install of Windows 7 with SP1 included, it does NOT wipe out any of your installed programs or change anything, it only Upgrades your Windows 7 installed on your computer, actually repairing & upgrading your installed Win 7 including to SP1.

Read this http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/win7s-no-reformat-nondestructive-reinstall/

If you don't have a Win 7 disk with SP1 on it (which I see you don't), you can download it absolutely 100% free & 100% legally as long as you have a Win 7 valid serial for your computer (look on the sticker on your computer for the valid OEM serial for Windows). Get the Win 7 SP1 DVD download here, you just need to know if you are using 32bit (X86) or 64 bit(X64) and download the correct DVD ISO file & have ISO DVD burner hardware & ISO DVD burning software, Look Here: http://www.shaileshtripathi.in/2011/08/leaked-windows-7-sp1-integrated.html

Hope that helps,

Normally, downloading and installing Service Packs manually will work, even if your computer already has most of the updates contained in the Service Pack (and even if your computer already has the Service Pack installed). Here are the download links, since Microsoft has not made it easy to find the right ones (unless you know the operating system version number, which in this case is 6.1):

OK, I was able to install the service pack (thank you), but now when I try to install the 30-day trial I'm told "the free trial period has already been used on this PC" which I don't understand because I've never installed this product before! Is this a mistake?

Hi wghornsby,

Just came across this thread and recognized your last problem this way. I hope you already managed to install Emsisoft Anti-Malware in the meantime.

Should you still need assistance, please just tell me and I'll help you to install our software on your computer.