MichaelT

OA, Firefox 15, Flash 11.4.402 causing hangs/feezing of browser

I'm experiancing FF hangs and freezing with OA Firewall Free installed, I have to exit FF via Task Manager.

This is not happening with IE and OA.

This does not happen with Windows Firewall installed.

Its mainly sites with lots of flash content, Photobucket, NASA, Home Depot,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I'm using FF 15, Flash 11.4.402, AdBlock Plus 2.1.2, VTZilla 1.5, M86 3.504, Tineye 1.1

Everything is updated as I'm setting up a new notebook, freash cleen install on everything

So I've done the regular exclusions.

MBAM Pro >

C:\Program Files\AVAST Software

C:\Program Files (x86)\Online Armor

avast! Home Free >

SETTINGS - EXCLUSIONS

C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\*

C:\Program Files (x86)\Online Armor\*

FILE SYSTEM SHIELD - EXCLUSIONS

C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\*

C:\Program Files (x86)\Online Armor\*

WEB SHIELD - EXCLUSIONS

C:\Program Files (x86)\Online Armor\oacat.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Online Armor\oadump.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Online Armor\oahlp.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Online Armor\oainj.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Online Armor\oamine.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Online Armor\OAReg.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Online Armor\oascan.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Online Armor\oasrv.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Online Armor\oaui.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Online Armor\oaview.exe

BEHAVIOR SHIELD - TRUSTED PROCESS

C:\Program Files (x86)\Online Armor\oacat.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Online Armor\oadump.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Online Armor\oahlp.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Online Armor\oainj.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Online Armor\oamine.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Online Armor\OAReg.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Online Armor\oascan.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Online Armor\oasrv.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Online Armor\oaui.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Online Armor\oaview.exe

Online Armor >

Options - Exclusions - Include subfolders

C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\

C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\

What am I missing, or doing wrong?!

Have I included too many exclusions, not enough???

OA has become very problimatic, FF has no problems in its current setup with Windows Firewall.

Any HELP here would be appreciated, or OA goes to the recycle bin.

Doesn't avast! install a toolbar or some other browser extension in Firefox? That could be the source of the problem. Please check your Firefox extensions, and see if there is anything related to avast! in the list. You should be able to disable any extensions related to avast! in order to test this.

Here's a link to instructions on how to check for and disable extensions in Firefox.

Doesn't avast! install a toolbar or some other browser extension in Firefox? That could be the source of the problem. Please check your Firefox extensions, and see if there is anything related to avast! in the list. You should be able to disable any extensions related to avast! in order to test this.

Here's a link to instructions on how to check for and disable extensions in Firefox.

AUTO SANDBOX >

AUTO SANDBOX MODE - ASK

Cloud Services >

REPUTATION SERVICES - DISABLED

STREAMING UPDATES - DISABLED

NO TOOLBARS IN AVAST! 7.0.1466

VTZilla has a toolbar, but it doesn't effect Windows Firewall and FF.

#@!&%!,,,,,,Browser froze on the link you gave me, exit through task manager!

I'll repeat myself, this freezing/lockup only happens with OA in FF, if I remove OA and use Windows firewall everything is OK.

OK,,,sooo,,,,,

Deleted OA

Deleted FF

Deleted Flash (uninstaller)

Deleted Java

Deleted all permissions from avast! and MBAM Pro.

Reboot 2x

Install FF

Install Flash

Install Java

Firefox works fine with Windows Firewall

Install OA

Set exclusions in avast! and MBAM

Firefox has the same #@!%! poblem as before, freezing and lockups, exit via task manager.

Disable Flash, Firefox works fine.

I went back and installed 5 archived versions of flash and the combination of OA and flash did not work for me.

All previous versions of Flash and Windows Firewall works with FF.

I want the current version of Flash, there are to many vulnerabilitys on the net.

GOING................(to the recycle bin)

Michael I don't use Firefox so may be way, way off beam here.

Is plugin-container.exe listed as trusted and green in colour in OA programs list?

Michael I don't use Firefox so may be way, way off beam here.

Is plugin-container.exe listed as trusted and green in colour in OA programs list?

TRUSTED

So was it correct that with Firefox 14 everything worked okay for you, but FF 15 messed it up?

Did you try disabling FF protected mode?

Unfortunately it seems there are quite a few people who don't even use OA who are having problems with FF15 and Flash :(

As I post this I'm using Win Firewall, Flash 10.3, FF 15 (same extensions), avast!, MBAM Pro, and have no problems with Photobucket, unlike the same browser setup with OA.

2012-09-06_104033.jpg

1 > So was it correct that with Firefox 14 everything worked okay for you, but FF 15 messed it up?

2 > Did you try disabling FF protected mode?

3 > Unfortunately it seems there are quite a few people who don't even use OA who are having problems with FF15 and Flash :(

1 > See above post

2 > Why would I disable protection in a browser that I use for surfing the internet? Seems foolish to me to do that.

I do not use the ADMIN ACCOUNT, I set up a USER ACCOUNT.

3 > I didn't see anywhere that posters on the mozzillaZine forum mention their firewall setup (in that thread particularity).

Don't forget that this is a new notebook, 1 week old, updated with on other programs installed, other than the OS, HP bloatware.

The system restore I had to do because of the lockup took me back to pre OA being installed.

I suggested disabling protected mode merely as part of troubleshooting :)

I can see that you have tried very hard to get it to work. We have other users using OA, FF15 and latest Flash without issue so I am at a loss now.

I suggested disabling protected mode merely as part of troubleshooting :)

I can see that you have tried very hard to get it to work. We have other users using OA, FF15 and latest Flash without issue so I am at a loss now.

I just had to remove OA, it was causing me grief.

So,

I just took a look at the W7 compatibility setting for OA, the OA installer is set to run for XP SP3, could this be where the problem is?

(I still have OA in my DL folder)

I just had to remove OA, it was causing me grief.

So,

I just took a look at the W7 compatibility setting for OA, the OA installer is set to run for XP SP3, could this be where the problem is?

(I still have OA in my DL folder)

OA installer should not be set to run in any compatibility mode (as well as all the executable files it installs).

Could you please try to remove that setting for the installer and see if after re-installing OA your troubles with FF would be reproducible?

Thank you in advance,

OA installer should not be set to run in any compatibility mode (as well as all the executable files it installs).

Could you please try to remove that setting for the installer and see if after re-installing OA your troubles with FF would be reproducible?

Thank you in advance,

Soooo, the installer was not set for XP mode, I left it as I found it.

I am going to the lake this weekend and will not be able to test until next week.

My setup is FF 15.0.1 (just updated), Flash 10.3, and my 5 extensions listed in the above post.

As this notebook is only 1 week old, before I go any further with it and spend more time mucking around with it, I might do a reinstall of the OS with the factory recovery disks.

I will think about my options this weekend when I'm having a few cool ones and relaxing on the house boat.

2012-09-07_152645.jpg

See ya on Monday..................

*clink* *chug* *belch*

Any reason why you don't want to use flash version 11.4.402.265 ?

No you don't need to tick that compatibility box, what ticking that box does is to allow an older program written for an earlier versions of Windows to possibly run in Windows 7. OA free is written to run on Windows 7

Have a great weekend Michael :)

First, please allow me to apologize for taking so long to reply. I spent a few days away from the forums last week, which is why I haven't answered you in so long.

I don't see that anyone has asked for logs, so lets do that so that Andrey can look at them, and hopefully gather some information on what might be causing the issue.

Please open Online Armor, go to Options in the menu on the left, click the little check box to enable debug mode, restart your computer, and then try reproducing your problem with Firefox and Online Armor. After that, please ZIP your entire logs folder (normally C:\Program Files\Online Armor\Logs), upload it to a website such as RapidShare/DepositFiles/BayFiles/etc (which one you use is up to you), and then copy and paste the link to download the file into a reply (or you can send it to me in a Private Message if you don't want the link posted publicly on the forums). Note that, if you don't have a utility such as 7-Zip, WinZip, or WinRar that you can ZIP files and folders by right-clicking on them, going to Send To, and clicking on Compressed (zipped) Folder.

I've just installed OA on a new hp pavilion dv6 (w7x64sp1, FF 15.0.1, flash - latest).

I suppose that the issue is caused either by Avast/MBAM or by the sum of your security software installed, because:

1) I've played several online in-browser games (one of the is tankionline (dot) com which is heavy on resources as it's a 3d shooter)

2) Watched several videos online

So, could you please verify that the issue is caused by OA and not by Avast? (for example)

You can do this by disabling avast (or better uninstalling it temporarilly for the testing purposes).

Thanks in advance,

I uninstalled Avast and deleted Flash from OA Exclusions list, with OA on its own Firefox ran with no flash problems.

Then I reinstalled Avast, without a Flash exclusion in OA, the problem returned.

There is no problem when running OA or Avast alone, it only happens with the combination of the 2.

The Flash exclusion in OA allows me to run both fine though.

Hi Everyone,

Unfortunately, I can't say the test results are good... I could not reproduce the problem :(

1) I've installed Avast Pro (latest)

2) Then installed FF 15.0.1 (English)

3) Then installed flash (latest)

4) Then installed OA

5) Rebooted

Unfortunately I was able to watch movies on youtube, play games, etc.

Can anyone please tell me how to reproduce this problem?

Thanks in advance,