Sign in to follow this  
George_S

CLOSED EAM V7 and problems with OUTLOOK on XP3

Hi,

I am a recent convert to the malware software (have used the firewall for several years.

I allowed it to upgrade to the Beta v7 recently and have encountered the following problem if opening Outlook Professional 2003 under the following circumstance.

This is running on a DELL Latitude D810 and running XP sp 3 (upto date with microsoft patches)

When attempting to open Outlook while a deep scan (or custom) scan is running, Outlook appear to hang and has to be closed down to exit.

The following message then appears

"Outlook experienced a serious error the last time the add-in 'emisoft anti-malware was opened'. Would you like to disable this add-in?

To reactivate this add-in, click About Microsoft Outlook on the Help menu, then click disabled items.'

EmiSoft Anti-Malware version 7.0.0.

On-Line Armor Firewall (Free) version 5.11.395 - SHould this still be the Free version despite my having purchased the suite?

OS details:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name JNB-LPT-GSOL

System Manufacturer Dell Inc.

System Model Latitude D810

System Type X86-based PC

Processor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~2128 Mhz

BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A05, 2006/03/20

SMBIOS Version 2.3

Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS

System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale South Africa

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"

User Name xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Time Zone South Africa Standard Time

Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB

Available Physical Memory 1.09 GB

Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB

Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB

Page File Space 4.85 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

We'll probably need a DebugView log to see what is going on. Before we can get that, we'll need to set a registry entry that will tell Emsisoft Anti-Malware to output debug information that DebugView can see and save in its log. The following file eam_enable_debug_output.zip contains a batch file which, when run with administrative rights, will automatically create that registry entry for you. Please download this file, extract the batch file from it (it will also be named eam_enable_debug_output), and run the batch file:

After that, please restart your computer, and then proceed with the instructions below:

1. Download DebugView from this link:
  2. When downloading, make sure to save it on your Desktop instead of clicking 'Run' or 'Open'.
  3. Right-click on the 'DebugView' file that you just saved on your Desktop, and select "Extract All".
  4. Open the new DebugView folder that was created on your Desktop after extracting.
  5. Windows XP and 2000 users should double-click on the file named 'Dbgview'. Windows 7 and Vista users should right-click and select "Run as Administrator".
  6. Click on the 'Capture' menu, and select everything except "Log Boot" (you will have to open the menu again after clicking to select an item).
  7. Do whatever it is you need to in order to replicate the issue.
  8. After you have replicated the issue you can switch back to DebugView and click 'File' and "Save As" in order to save the log to a file on your Desktop.
  9. Please attach that log file to a reply so that we may analyze it for errors. You will need to use the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type in your reply in order to access the attachment controls.

Note: You may need to ZIP the log file in order to attach it. If you do not have a program such as 7-Zip, WinZip, WinRar, etc. then you can right-click on the log file, go to Sent to, and click on Compressed (zipped) folder. You will be able to attach the ZIP archive to a reply.

Tx Arthur,

I followed instructions but have been unable to replicate the issue????

Only thing I found tho is that on the DebugView Capture menu, if I selected "Capture Kernel" the program hung and I eventually had to to a hard reset to get out of it.

I got it capturing without the kernel capture, started a "DEEP" scan and then started up Outlook. All well. Re-enabled the EMISOFT ANTI-MALWARE in Outlook and still no problem.

How do I remove the modification in the registry created by the batch file?

Thank you for your help

George_S

How do I remove the modification in the registry created by the batch file?

Here's a ZIP archive containing a batch file that will delete the registry entry: