Sign in to follow this  
kupo

Question about some Firewall rules.

OA Free, in its default setup automatically allows trusted files to access the internet. And of course, to improve my security I set it to ask. But I already noticed rules about these .exe files(dllhost.exe, services.exe, taskhost.exe, and wininit.exe) in the Firewall tab(OA created them in learning mode). My question is that can I block these files from accessing the internet without crippling Windows? (By crippling, I meant that if it's necessary for Windows to work properly, example svchost.exe is needed for Windows Update, something like that)

Guest MousePad

Svchost is your internet connection, if you end it you must reboot for your computer to work again.

Services.exe is a part of your computer.

DLLHOST.exe runs your dll's (IMPORTANT AS HECK)

services.exe has a chance of getting infected by certain rootkits, but it's needed.

Guest MousePad

Because thats what happened to me when i was curious about those things.

And from research

Thought a expert could lend a hand, ya know?

Svchost is your internet connection, if you end it you must reboot for your computer to work again.

services.exe has a chance of getting infected by certain rootkits, but it's needed.

I only want to block access to internet, not blocking it from running. :D

Mousepad,

If you're not sure, why do you answer the question?

kupo,

I suggest reading this; http://onlinearmorpe...ractices-1.html

Thanks, I'll read the guide.

Well Svchost.exe has to be connected to your browser-internet for it to work?

svchost.exe is used for a lot of services. If you block it, you will block a lot more than just your browser's Internet access. For more information, Wikipedia has a fairly good article (although I do recommend checking Wikipedia's references to see where they are getting the information).

Guest MousePad

svchost.exe is used for a lot of services. If you block it, you will block a lot more than just your browser's Internet access. For more information, Wikipedia has a fairly good article (although I do recommend checking Wikipedia's references to see where they are getting the information).

Well, I guess I got the others right?

Well, I guess I got the others right?

Lets take a look.

Services.exe is indeed a part of Windows, however I would believe that the opening poster already knows this. Services.exe is the "Service Control Manager", which is a very important part of Windows. I would believe there are times that it will attempt to access the Internet, however it should still function properly even if Internet access is cut off. If services.exe is blocked from running, however, your computer will not continue to function.

dllhost.exe is used to execute functions in certain DLL files, however not all DLL files that need to be executed via a separate program are executed by dllhost.exe (there's a lot more to dllhost.exe than just executing DLL files).

Any system file can be replaced by an infection, or have malicious code injected into it. Modern rootkits don't actually need to resort to these methods, however, as they use even more advanced methods to perform their functions.

Normally we do not recommend completely blocking any of these Microsoft programs from accessing the Internet, unless you want your computer to be completely isolated from all external networks (including your own home network). Blocking these programs from running will cause your computer to no longer function.