xman68

Bug In Setup Wizard EAM

Some of my colleagues and I have been used Emsisoft Anti-Malware (EAM) for a few months. At this time, we were faced with a problem. The problem have been occurred in two ways:

When installing the EAM:

When we install the setup wizard, the EAM doesn't work (it means the EAM doesn't appear in startup) and we have to reapet install the setup wizard.
(see video in attached files)

When usining the EAM:

Some users have reported that after long time using the EAM, the EAM didn't apear in startup (when they turn on or restart the computers). When they tried to use the EAM,
the setup wizard opend
and they had to install it again for running the EAM.

We hoped to solve this problem in version 7. But today I received another report of this problem.

I send you a video about this problem and also its logs. You can see them in attached files.

I hope that you check this problem and solve it. Thank you so very much for your attention.

Best regards Xman68

Video :

Thank you for your reply. In fact, it happened just one time for each users and I haven't received any reports that this problem has been occurred two times, yet.

Is it always happening on the same version of Windows? Are they all English versions of Windows?

happening on Xp Sp 3 ( English . Persian Version ) , 7 Sp1 ( English . Persian Version )

Hello,

I see this problem a few times, Even for users who installed EAM in the last few months.

1. I report this problem in "helpdesk.emsisoft.com" and "Christian Peters" finds that this problem occurs often, due to connection errors, but I think there are afew other reasons for this problem too!

2. by this problem, all settings will be deldeted, Just like you've installed the program for first time!

if connection errors (or any other) is reason for run the Security Wizard again this is a problem.

because Security Wizard should not be run after complete installation (Never).

Possible in a region, the connection errors were high, and the user must complete several steps for Security Wizard.

I talked with our developers about this, and the cause is simply that Emsisoft Anti-Malware was unable to get license information from our license servers. This can be caused by an unreliable Internet connection, another program (such as a firewall) blocking the connection to our license servers, or even potentially (although very rarely) an issue with our license servers.

In this cause, I would believe that Pars is correct, and that it is simply an issue with the Internet connection, since it appears to work correctly when run a second time.

As you know when the Internet connection has problem, the Emsisoft Anti-Malware was unable to get license information from your

license servers. So the EAM must to close three Guard. Why the program is removed, when this problem occurs?

In my vedio (I send you previous post), the EAM recive 30 days license and updated very well. In point of my view, this problem

doesn't relate to Internet connection problem!!

EAM will attempt to contact our license servers when you select the 30-day trial option, and if there are problems with the connection then that can cause the issue you experienced.

I mean that, when we select the 30-day trial option, the EAM connect to your servers and gets license successfully. So there is no problem in Internet connection!! if there are problems in Internet connection, the EAM mustn't get license and updated. Am I right ???

May I ask how you know that EAM was able to connect and get a license key? I don't see it saying anywhere in your video that it succeeded.

May I ask how you know that EAM was able to connect and get a license key? I don't see it saying anywhere in your video that it succeeded.

you are right. So problem in Internet connection caused this problem. now my question is, why did the problem in Internet connection remove the EAM?

When usining the EAM:

Some users have reported that after long time using the EAM, the EAM didn't apear in startup (when they turn on or restart the computers). When they tried to use the EAM,
the setup wizard opend

This is a boring problem for our users. Because their EAMs have removed and they have to adjust their EAMs again!!!

Anyway, I hope you solve this problem.

Thanks for Your great support

... now my question is, why did the problem in Internet connection remove the EAM?

Technically, EAM isn't removed, it's just that the System Tray icon hasn't appeared and the protection hasn't started. As for a 'fix', it might be possible to change the behavior of the wizard so that some notification of the communication failure is mentioned, and thus you know that there was an issue. I'll have to run it by our developers and see what they think. ;)

Did you encounter this issue when installing Emsisoft Anti-Malware from a version 6.6 installer? Apparently, when the version 6.6 wizard downloads the verion 7 updates, it will also cause this issue where the protection doesn't activate and you need to run through the wizard again.

Did you encounter this issue when installing Emsisoft Anti-Malware from a version 6.6 installer? Apparently, when the version 6.6 wizard downloads the verion 7 updates, it will also cause this issue where the protection doesn't activate and you need to run through the wizard again.

This problem is both version 6 and 7, Independently.

In last week, this problem occurred several times.

However, does it problem related to the EAM or no?

There is an issue when installing with the EAM 6.6 installer where, when it download the updates for version 7 while the wizard is running, this causes the issue you experienced. The fix for this issue is to always install from a version 7 installer. This is why I was wondering if it was only happening when installing using the version 6.6 installer. If the issue you experienced also happens when installing from the version 7 installer, then it is most likely an Internet connection issue.

As I said before, this problem is both version 6 and 7, Independently.

The fix for this issue is to always install from a version 7 installer. This is why I was wondering if it was only happening when installing using the version 6.6 installer. If the issue you experienced also happens when installing from the version 7 installer, then it is most likely an Internet connection issue.

if this problem related to Internet connection, how can I solve this issue? especial for following issue:

When usining the EAM:

the setup wizard opend

If the cause is just an Internet connection issue, then the way to fix it would be to stabilize the Internet connection. If the issue is not related to whatever hardware you are using to connect to the Internet, then you would either have to contact your Internet Service Provider about the issue, or find a more reliable Internet Service Provider.

As for the second issue you are referring to, I have not seen that happen in any of my own testing or usage of EAM, so I don't know what might cause it. I'll see if one of our developers has some information on it.

OK, you are right. But previously, we tried to update other AVs such as Kaspersky, Nod32, Bitdefender, Avira and Norton with this Internet connection and all of them got license successfully. Why other AVs could update and got license with this Internet connection and the EAM couldn't ???

I've seen this problem again.

I install EAM on a system (without internet), install was complete successfully, but after restart, we see Setup Wizard again.

Important:

After complete installation, not repeat the installation process for any eason. :wacko:

... Why other AVs could update and got license with this Internet connection and the EAM couldn't ???

That I can't tell you without more information. It is possible that Fiddler logs from the Wizard when it fails might give us an indication of why it is failing. Let me know if you want to try running Fiddler.

I am a new customer to Emsisoft, and this is my first visit to the Support Forum. I am honestly shocked at how rude the staff people here are at treating this person (xm68) who is seeking help! One staffer actually had the rudeness to say he was boring! My goodness. Are you paid to say such things?? I am NOT bored by this, as I have been having the SAME problem with my download, there is nothing wrong with my connection either, and so far you people have been less than helpful.

Very disappointed, and will say so over at cnet.com unless you can actually offer some real HELP.

I have no idea what a Fiddler log is, so you could start off by talking to a person who is not a techie. And try being civil. Thank you.

Hello UNsecure,

If you would be kind enough to help out by doing a fiddler log here are some instructions which may help you...

Download and install Fiddler

http://www.fiddler2.com/fiddler2/

Open EAM, go to Configuration > Update settings.

At the bottom of the page click "Connection settings"

In proxy server put localhost

port number is 8888

Click OK

Start Fiddler.

Do a couple of manual EAM update attempts.

Then in Fiddler do File -Save-All sessions.

It will be saved as a .saz file, give it a name.

Zip it and send to GT500 in a pm.

MAKE SURE YOU UNTICK THE PROXY SETTINGS IN EAM AFTERWARDS - important!!

.. One staffer actually had the rudeness to say he was boring! ...

Please pardon my confusion, however I do not recall seeing anyone call a customer boring. If you see any instances of one of our representatives being rude or disrespectful, then please feel free to report it to our sales manager, Davlat Aminov, in a private message via our forums. ;)

When usining the EAM:

the setup wizard opend

We have not been able to replicate this in our own testing, so our developers are going to need information and logs from computers where this is happening. They will need to see the settings file (C:\Program Files\Emsisoft Anti-Malware\a2settings.ini) and the logs (C:\Program Files\Emsisoft Anti-Malware\Logs\logs.db3) as well as DebugView and Fiddler logs. Instructions for DebugView and Fiddler logs are below. If you do have a chance to collect this information, then please send it to me via a private message rather than posting it publicly on the forums.

The following instructions assume that you are collecting the information after the System Tray/Notification Area icon has disappeared, and before running the wizard. Please review both sets of instructions before trying them, as they will both need to be done at the same time, and I have not combined the instructions to account for that.

DebugView Log

Before running DebugView, a registry entry will need to be created that will tell Emsisoft Anti-Malware to output debug information that DebugView can see and save in its log. The following file eam_enable_debug_output.zip contains a batch file which, when run with administrative rights, will automatically create that registry entry for you. Please download this file, extract the batch file from it (it will also be named eam_enable_debug_output), and run the batch file (if your computer is running Windows Vista or Windows 7 then please make sure to right-click on the batch file and select to Run as administrator):

After that, please restart your computer, and then proceed with the instructions below:

1. Download DebugView from this link:
  2. When downloading, make sure to save it on your Desktop instead of clicking 'Run' or 'Open'.
  3. Right-click on the 'DebugView' file that you just saved on your Desktop, and select "Extract All".
  4. Open the new DebugView folder that was created on your Desktop after extracting.
  5. Windows XP and 2000 users should double-click on the file named 'Dbgview'. Windows 7 and Vista users should right-click and select "Run as Administrator".
  6. Click on the 'Capture' menu, and select everything except "Log Boot" (you will have to open the menu again after clicking to select an item).
  7. Please make sure that Fiddler is ready before proceeding (steps 1-6 in the Fiddler log instructions below), as you will need to follow the instructions to set up a proxy in the Emsisoft Anti-Malware Wizard before running through the Wizard.
  8. After geting Fiddler ready and setting up the proxy settings in the Wizard, proceed through the Wizard normally.
  9. After you have finished with the Wizard, and see the Emsisoft Anti-Malware icon back in the System Tray/Notification Area you can switch back to DebugView and click 'File' and "Save As" in order to save the log to a file on your Desktop.
  10. You can go ahead and send this log to me in a private message.

Note: You may need to ZIP the log file in order to attach it to a message. If you do not have a program such as 7-Zip, WinZip, WinRar, etc. then you can right-click on the log file, go to Sent to, and click on Compressed (zipped) folder. You will be able to attach the ZIP archive to a reply.

Fiddler Log

Please download and install Fiddler 2 from this link (this is the version that requires the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0), and then follow the instructions below:

1. After installing Fiddler, please open it from the Start Menu.
  2. Launch the Emsisoft Anti-Malware Wizard from the Emsisoft Anti-Malware icon on the Desktop.
  3. Click on the Connection settings link in the lower-left corner.
  4. Check the box that says Use proxy server.
  5. Enter localhost in the Proxy server field, and then enter 8888 in the port field.
  6. Click 'OK'.
  7. Continue with the Wizard normally.
  8. After completing the Wizard, go back to Fiddler, and to File, then Save, and select All Sessions (please save it on your desktop).
  9. Please send the log to me in a private message.

Thank you. The logs are on their way to our developers, and they will take a look at them as soon as possible.

I am not seeing anything specifically about this issue in the changelog for the beta updates, so I am assuming that it will not be fixed in 7.0.0.13.

I got an e-mail earlier today from one of our developers to let me know that they have looked into the issue, and that they hope to have a fix ready as soon as possible.

I don't know if they found the exact cause of the issue, but I do know that they hope to be able to resolve the issue. Assuming that they are able to include these changes in the next build, you may want to keep an eye on the beta updates changes forum for more information. ;)

hi

Emsisoft Anti-Malware 7.0.0.14 with BETA updates enabled:

• Improved restauration of modified registry values during cleaning.
  • Problem with multiple reloading of signatures after online update – fixed.
  • Crash when database location is changed – fixed.
  • Scanned objects counter shows wrong number in Commandline Scanner – fixed.
  • Added security measures to prevent a settings reset in case of a crash.
  • Several minor bugfixes in Outlook plugins.

Hi.

Is this part (red line) depends to solve this issue?

Hi.

Is this part (red line) depends to solve this issue?

I have verified with our developers that that fix is intended for the issue that you reported. We cannot guarantee that it will prevent it in 100% of the cases where it has been happening, however we do hope that it will drastically reduce the number of such issues in the future. ;)

I was told that certain changes were implemented to avoid this issue. I will contact our developers and see if they need any more information from the effected systems.

Our developers are fairly certain that, after they merge all of the fixes into a final build, that the issue will be fixed. Hopefully that build will be ready soon. Please allow me to apologize for how long you have had to wait for this fix. ;)

Emsisoft Anti-Malware version 7.0.0.17 has been released, and contains several fixes related to the settings file. Here is a link to the changelog. Please let us know if that has resolved the issue. ;)

Emsisoft Anti-Malware version 7.0.0.17 has been released, and contains several fixes related to the settings file. Here is a link to the changelog. Please let us know if that has resolved the issue. ;)

Hi

Unfortunately, The problem still remains In 7.0.0.18

OK, lets try getting logs from DebugView and Fiddler as I detailed in this post from Emsisoft Anti-Malware 7.0.0.18, and see if they give us some more information.

Please be sure to send the logs to me in a private message.

Our developers let me know that, according to the logs, the license being used on the computer/computers that are experiencing this are being used on more computers than they are supposed to be.

I don't know the specific license details in this case, so here is an example of I am talking about:

Lets say that you have a license key that is good for one PC, and you use it on two PC's. When you activate Emsisoft Anti-Malware the first PC with the license key it will work just fine. When you activate Emsisoft Anti-Malware on the second PC, the license details will be changed in our system for that license key, and Emsisoft Anti-Malware on that first PC will be deactivated so that Emsisoft Anti-Malware can be activated on the second PC. After that happens, on that first PC Emsisoft Anti-Malware will act like it needs to go through the initial setup process (due to the fact that it is no longer activated with a license key), and it will run the Wizard when you try to open Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

I recommend taking a look at the license key that is being used in this case. If there are any issues with the license, then let either Davlat or myself know. ;)

• Problem with Security Wizard reappearing after completed installation – fixed.

Hi

today, Turned on my system and EAM wasnt run !!!

Clicked on Emsisoft anti-malware icon and i saw Security Wizard

Complated installation than EAM runnig

today, Turned on my system and EAM wasnt run !!!

Clicked on Emsisoft anti-malware icon and i saw Security Wizard

Complated installation than EAM runnig

There's a rare bug where that can happen. It's sort of like Emsisoft Anti-Malware forgets its license information and needs to be reactivated. If it happens again, then let me know. ;)

When usining the EAM:

Some users have reported that after long time using the EAM, the EAM didn't apear in startup (when they turn on or restart the computers). When they tried to use the EAM, the setup wizard opend and they had to install it again for running the EAM.

Hi

I runned EAM today, EAM opend Setup Wizard, Why??

Hello,

it looks like your license information was lost during a Windows restart. Please select Enter license key  in the Wizard and follow the instruction. Is this done please restart your Windows. The problem occurs again after the Windows restart?

Hello,

it looks like your license information was lost during a Windows restart. Please select Enter license key  in the Wizard and follow the instruction. Is this done please restart your Windows. The problem occurs again after the Windows restart?

The problem dont occurs again after Enter license key and complate setup wizard but this problem dont fix yet !!!

Emsisoft Anti-Malware 8.1.0.40 is a maintenance update for improved performance and protection.

Improvements:

• Problem with Security Wizard reappearing after completed installation – fixed.

Some of my colleagues and I have been used Emsisoft Anti-Malware (EAM) for a few months. At this time, we were faced with a problem. The problem have been occurred in two ways:

When installing the EAM:

When we install the setup wizard, the EAM doesn't work (it means the EAM doesn't appear in startup) and we have to reapet install the setup wizard.

When usining the EAM:

Some users have reported that after long time using the EAM, the EAM didn't apear in startup (when they turn on or restart the computers). When they tried to use the EAM, the setup wizard opend and they had to install it again for running the EAM.

Hello,

okay i understand. Would it be possible for you to test the last Emsisoft Anti-Malware Beta version 9.0.0.4283 if the issue occurs again?

I didnt see any update for this problem in Beta version 9.0.0.4283!!

I installed EAM version 9.0.0.4183 on two different PC, unfortunately Security Wizard reappeared after completed installation

This issue didint fix in 8.1.0.40

Emsisoft Anti-Malware 8.1.0.40 released!