EAM 7 is Constantly Locking Up when Performing a Deep Scan

gugarci

This is issue has been going on for the last couple of days since I updated Online Armor Premium.

There are no other security softwares running in real time on this old PC.

This is a old Win XP Pro SP3, 3.2GHZ P4. with 2.25GB of ram.

One last thing I just urned off the memory usage optimization setting to see if this make a differnce.

Thanks.

Turing off memory optimization made no difference.

I have not excluded them from each other. How do i do this?

Also I'm trying another deep scan right now with OAP turned off.

I will also try a deep scan in my Win 7 laptop which uses both to see if there's na issue there.

In Online Armor just add the Emsisoft Anti-Malware folder to the exclusion list. You can find the exclusion list under Options/Exclusions. Make sure the sub-directories checkbox is checked as well. In Emsisoft Anti-Malware go to "Guard"/"File Guard" and blick the "Manage whitelist" link. In the upcoming window add three entries of type "Process" for the following three Online Armor processes:

• oaui.exe
  • oasrv.exe
  • oacat.exe
  • oahlp.exe

Make sure all three check boxes are checked for each entry. In the end it should look like this:

I'll try that since running a deep scan with OAP turned off completed with no issues.

Also my Win 7 laptop had no issues with the deep scan eventhough I don't have these EAM processes

whitelisted. Should i also do this with my Win 7 laptop, or should I not fix was wasn't broken?

Thanks.

Ok I'll try that and report back.

But since EAM & OAP are related to each other shouldn't these items be wihite listed by default on both programs?

Also OAP from time to time with the previous version used to give me pop ups in reference to EAM processes. Hopefully

this will not happen anymore in version 6.

Still freezing up. And by freezing up I mean it locks up my whole PC and the only way to fix it is by shutting down the PC

using the power button.

Could changing the scan performace make a difference? I have tried it on normal and high. I'm going to try it shortly on the lowest setting.

Can you check your event logs if any service crashes are reported there? You can find the event logs under Start, right click Computer, Manage and selecting the "Event Viewer" on the left. Then look through the logs for entries that occurred at roughly the same time as the freeze and see if anything shows up in the logs there.

In addition it would be useful to know if it always crashes at the same step. Is it always scanning the same file or folder when the crash occurs? Can you keep the Task Manager open please and check the memory usage of the a2service.exe process at the time of freeze?

Does the scan also freeze your system if you perform it via the command line scanner?

1. To try that, press the Windows key and R at the same time.
  2. Type in "cmd.exe" and click Okay.
  3. Then type in the letter of the drive containing your Emsisoft Anti-Malware installation and press Enter. So if your Emsisoft Anti-Malware installation is located on your C: drive, type:
    c:

4. Next we need to switch to the Emsisoft Anti-Malware directory. Just type "cd" followed by the folder wrapped in "-signs. For example:
    cd "C:\Program Files\Emsisoft Anti-Malware"

5. Last but not least start the command line scan using the following command:
    a2cmd.exe /deep

Please let me know if the scan runs through then or if the scan crashes.

Ok I switched the performance setting on EAM back to normal and ran the command line deep scan with no lock ups.

After the scan was completed it said it found 104 items, although there was nothing yesterday when I completed a succesful deep scan with the performance set to idle.

Did the command line scanner found something the other scan missed? And if so where it is and what was it? Does it show up in a log someplace? there was nothing in my quarantine list.

Anyway since OAP updated some new firewall components today I'm running another deep scan with EAM and to see if it locks up again. Also one last thing when looking at the mem & CPU usage from the task manger when running scans from the command line VS regular EAM the commnad line scanner uses a lot less CPU and a little less memory. CPU usage when running a scan directly hits 100% from time to time and stays rather high. CPU usage from the coomand line never goes over 50%. Mem usage is not too direferent but still higher with the regular scan. Command line scanner memory useage is around 225-250,000k, regular scan is around 330-350,000k

Any way I will post again after this new deep scan is completed.

Thanks again for all your help.

No it's not always frezzing on the same step or folder. When it freezes the CPU is usually stuck at 100% and it looks like it has flat-line.

Also it froze again doing a deep scan with the performance set to idle.

I'll keep my eye on the a2service and report back. Usually i have the perfomance tab open to see the CPU. And All the day while testing the deep scan

I had the task manger open. That's how I saw that the command scanner uses less mememory and less CPU.

I'm going to try another deep scan now with the performance set to normal and Online Armor turned off.

Just started a new scan with Online Armor turned off. One last thing i forgot to mention I also had it freeze on me yesterday once doing a

smart scan.

Just finished a deep scan with Online Armor completing turned off and it completed with no issues.

I'm now trying one more deep scan with the Online Armor component all off but I left the GUI ruinning.

Will post back my results.

Ok I'll try that and report back.

But since EAM & OAP are related to each other shouldn't these items be wihite listed by default on both programs?

Also OAP from time to time with the previous version used to give me pop ups in reference to EAM processes. Hopefully

this will not happen anymore in version 6.

I've been trying to duplicate this behaviour but can't get it to hang. This was on Win7 x64

However, a very valid point has been raised - why are these not default exclusions?

Just finished a deep scan again with the Online Armor components off and the GUI running. There were no issues.

And earlier this evening I was able to complete a deep scan with Online Armor completely turned off succesfully.

Both of these deep scans were succesfully completed with the performance setting to normal, with the Online armor components turned off (GUI Running),

and one with Online Armor completely turned off.

The only thing i can conclude from my tests today is that the new version of Online Armor causes EAM 7 to lock my old up Win XP Pro SP3 P4 3.20 GHZ PC,

if I perform a scan with Online Armor running. I also have a newer laptop with Win 7 Pro x64 i7, with both of these software running and I don't have any

issues running scan in my laptop.

Since I have not received any more replies is it fair to say I might be correct in saying that new new version of Online Armor is causing EAM to lock up

my old PC?

if it is it's not really a big deal since I was surprises that these products work at all on this old PC, and this is not a PC I use very frequent. Anyway since I was able

to get my scans to complete with Online Armor completely shut down, and with the gui running and the components turned off I can't come to any other conclusion.

Thanks.

Since I have not received any more replies is it fair to say I might be correct in saying that new new version of Online Armor is causing EAM to lock up my old PC?

It is hard to tell. I may be incorrect, but you still haven't answered all my questions:

What is the memory usage of the service when the freeze occurs? You said you would add those information later, so I waited and you never did.

Does it always happen at the same time (you mentioned it happens on 100%, does it always happen then?) or on the same drive?

What happens if you disable the File Guard of EAM during scan?

What most likely happens is that the service crashes somewhere during the scan. This can be caused because of memory exhaustion or some kind of memory leak, which is why I asked for the memory usage of the time of the freeze. Since the Emsisoft Anti-Malware service needs to approve all major file accesses a crash while performing those approvals can cause the system to freeze, as all file i/o is halted. The problem is, unless you answer my questions, it is very hard to find what is causing the freeze and consequently how to prevent this freeze from happening.

It only happens when i scan my main drive, the c drive. It never happens on the same file or folder or percentage completed. Memory usage is usually between 300-350,000K,. I posted that info in post # 13. See below.

"Also one last thing when looking at the mem & CPU usage from the task manger when running scans from the command line VS regular EAM the commnad line scanner uses a lot less CPU and a little less memory. CPU usage when running a scan directly hits 100% from time to time and stays rather high. CPU usage from the coomand line never goes over 50%. Mem usage is not too direferent but still higher with the regular scan. Command line scanner memory useage is around 225-250,000k, regular scan is around 330-350,000k"

And the CPU is usally at 100% and it looks like it has flat line. I'm going to try 2 deeps scan right now. First one performace set to normal no other changes. 2nd one with File Guard disable on EAM during scan. Will post back.

It only happens when i scan my main drive, the c drive. It never happens on the same file or folder or percentage completed. Memory usage is usually between 300-350,000K,. I posted that info in post # 13. See below.

From my understanding you posted the memory usage of the command line scanner. I am not interested in that. I need to know the memory usage of the a2service.exe process when the system froze. I don't care about successful scans either. Since it only occurs when your C drive is included in the scan, have you tried performing a custom scan with every optional scan disabled and only C:\ in the list? Does that work properly? What kind of drive is C? Mechanical disk? SSD? How big is it, how many files does it contain, which file system is used?

Thanks.

No I posted the memory usage of both read it again if you wish.

Now for the update, It froze again!!!!! CPU was at 100% a2service was 8100k this time.

My C drive is always included in my scans since it contain the OS. It's a mechanical drive, I have not performed a custom scan with C only. I can try try this later.

it's a 80GB drive 20.9GB free space, file system is NTFS, and I'm doing a scan right now with the file guard disable.

What else would you like to know?

Ok just completed 2 more scans. My 1st scan was a custom scan of my c drive only with the memory optimization enabled. This one froze my computer.

2nd scan was a custom scan of my c drive only with the memory optimization disabled. This one was successful.

I'm running one more custome scan of the c drive with the memory optimization disabled to see if it completes it again with no issues.

Also I forgot to mention this but I did a scan earlier this afternoon like you had asked me with the file guard disable and that also froze my PC.

Sorry I did not post yesterday, but here are my results. Yestersday I performed 2 more customs scan of my C drive with the memory optimization disabled.

One succeded, and one failed. Can't give you the memory usuage because my monitor shut off automatically and since the whole PC froze it would not turn back on. I was also able to run a successful deep scan with all of the Online Armor components turned off and the GUI running.

At this point I'm no longer interested in doing any more tests on this PC to resolved this issue. I'm not interested in screwing up the hard drive on this PC since I've had to do about 10-12 hard reboots in the last couple of days to unfreeze this PC.

Untill a new version of EAM or OAP is released I'm going to do all my future scans on this PC with the Online Armor components turned off. When a new version of one of these products is released I will try a scan again with OAP turned on and I will update this thread with my results.

Thanks for your Help,

Bill

Well Today i update EAM 7 to 7.0.0.12. After the update I decided to run a deep scan again to see if iit still locks up my old XP PC.

I set the performance back to normal, and check off to use the advance caching. This was the default setting on this PC.

Well I'm happy to report that my deep scan with the newly realease version of EAM7 worked. Not only did it work once, but I ran

4 deep scans in row without rebooting in between and they all completed succesfully with no lock ups at all.