XIII

Online Armor blocks Internet time server?

Recommended Posts

Since my clock was not exact according to http://time.is I wanted to try a different Internet time server. Windows 7 was unable to synchronize with any server I tried.

I suspected the firewall (OA) might play a role, but I could not find entries about this in the log. Furthermore, putting OA in learning mode did not help.

However, when I completely quit OA Windows 7 could update immediately!

Is OA blocking Internet time servers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We'll probably need some logs to see what the problem is. Please open Online Armor, go to Options in the menu on the left, click the little check box to enable debug mode, restart your computer, and then try updating your computer's time from one of these non-Microsoft sources again. After that, please ZIP your entire logs folder (normally C:\Program Files\Online Armor\Logs), upload it to a website such as RapidShare/DepositFiles/BayFiles/etc (which one you use is up to you), and then copy and paste the link to download the file into a reply (or you can send it to me in a Private Message if you don't want the link posted publicly on the forums). Note that, if you don't have a utility such as 7-Zip, WinZip, or WinRar that you can ZIP files and folders by right-clicking on them, going to Send To, and clicking on Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Edit: Scratch that. Andrey says he doesn't need any more logs for this issue. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have found that if I switch to standard mode I am able to update time manually then I switch back to advanced mode and OA seems then to have no problems with Windows Time updating.

Andrewf (the OA dev) already has logs about this from me (#3014), but the more logs the merrier :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try adding port 123 to UDP out of svchost.exe rule. It's in Firewall → Rules → Ports section of Online Armor. You also might want to try unchecking port 123 in Restricted Ports if previous tip doesn't work.

I recently done a clean install of OA, and it looks like port 123 is added to svchost.exe UDP IN, not UDP OUT. It might be the cause of problems. Someone with more knowledge of subject should speak on this to confirm this ;)

Also, Thanks for time.is - nice find :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have found that if I switch to standard mode I am able to update time manually then I switch back to advanced mode and OA seems then to have no problems with Windows Time updating.

Andrewf (the OA dev) already has logs about this from me (#3014), but the more logs the merrier :)

Actually, someone else mentioned that they had reported this as well, and that it was only happening when Online Armor was running in Advanced Mode. Switching to Standard Mode may be a viable workaround until Andrey can nail down the cause. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same problem. Initial error was a timeout period exceeded.

In Firewall > Ports

***** svchost.exe TCP In (added port 123)

Error changed to peer is unreachable.

***** svchost.exe UDP Out (added port 123)

Time now updates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try adding port 123 to UDP out of svchost.exe rule. It's in Firewall → Rules → Ports section of Online Armor. You also might want to try unchecking port 123 in Restricted Ports if previous tip doesn't work.

My system (W7 x86, OA Professional, Avast AV) has never had a problem updating time. Checked and found that for svchost.exe UDP allowed ports both in and out comprise the full range: 0 - 65535. This range was automatically set by OA not too long ago when I did a clean install of the program's latest build.

If that's the default OA setting for this system file, I wonder how/why others' settings vary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's hard to say. Avast has some kind of proxy tied to one of it's shields and internet communication is done through loopback, so it is possible that if that particular shield was enabled at time when svchost.exe tried to use internet, OA auto-trusted it with set of those port ranges - but it's just a theory.

IIRC problems with time synchronization existed for some time now, even back when I used Windows XP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.