VinoBob

Computer freezes for 2-3 minutes after logon when OA is installed

Hi !

Ive just installed OA to my Laptop ( no other security software installed), which has XP X86 SP3 on (fresh install). After the desktop is loaded, the whole computer freezes for a few minutes, I can move the mouse pointer but thats all, cant open a window cant click to anything, its all frozen. When this ends, a small popup shows up on the tray that says that Ive been connected to my wireless network. I thought this might have to do something with the problem and disabled the wireless network adapter, and restarted, and voila, there is no freezing. But I need that network, and I also need a firewall. Is there a solution for this ?

I reinstalled everything and the problem was still there. After studying the log I realized that there is a remarkable delay when RtkBtMnt.exe gets loaded. This is a startup tray menu for Realtek audio driver, wherewith you can configure speakers, sound effects and stuff like that. I tried to add this to the exclusions, but I just couldnt find the parth in the window that came up, it simply was not shown in the folder tree. So I removed this from the autostarts, and I got rid of this lag, but its a bit strange, and it would be better if I could get this program working with OA without the lag at stratup.

Hi VinoBob,

Can you please take a look in the Programs sections of OA and make sure that RTHDCPL.exe and RtkBtMnt.exe are marked as Trusted (highlighted green)? It would also be a good idea to trust any other programs you recognise as safe programs that may not already be Trusted. I'd also recommend adding Avira to OA's exclusions list (it appears in your logs) and adding OA to Avira's exclusions list.

I guess perhaps the Realtek tray icon process is delaying the wireless connection from connecting and creating the hang while it keeps attempting. Unfortunately I don't have any further suggestions so you may need to wait for Emsisoft to ask you if they need further information or debug logs etc.

We'll probably need some logs to see what the problem is. Please open Online Armor, go to Options in the menu on the left, click the little check box to enable debug mode, restart your computer, and then try reproducing your problem. After that, please ZIP your entire logs folder (normally C:\Program Files\Online Armor\Logs), upload it to a website such as RapidShare/DepositFiles/BayFiles/etc (which one you use is up to you), and then copy and paste the link to download the file into a reply (or you can send it to me in a Private Message if you don't want the link posted publicly on the forums). Note that, if you don't have a utility such as 7-Zip, WinZip, or WinRar that you can ZIP files and folders by right-clicking on them, going to Send To, and clicking on Compressed (zipped) Folder.

BTW: I edited your posts to remove the logs and attach them as text files. It makes it easier to scroll through all of the posts when the logs are in attachments. ;)

In addition to the logs that I requested, our developers will need you to provide some more information about your computer. You can find a list of what they need at this link.

Also, we do recommend that you add Avira to the exclusions in Online Armor, and visa versa. Here are some instructions on adding Avira to the Exclusions list in Online Armor:

1. Click on the Start button, go to All Programs, go to Online Armor, and click on the Online Armor icon to open it.
  2. Click on Options' in the menu on the left.
  3. Go to the Exclusions tab.
  4. Click on the Add button.
  5. Use the little [+] and [-] icons to the left of folder names to open and close them, find the Avira Desktop folder (usually C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop), click on it to highlight it, and then click OK at the bottom.
  6. Close the Online Armor window.

For Avira you may have to consult their support documentation, however I do have a set of instructions for adding exclusions to Avira (note that it might be out of date):

1. Open the Avira Control Center from the icon on the desktop.
  2. In the menu on the left, under PC protection, click on Realtime Protection.
  3. In the upper-right corner, click on Configuration.
  4. If it asks you to enable expert mode, then click Yes.
  5. In the menu on the left, under Realtime Protection, click the little [+] icon to the left of Scan to reveal more options, and then click on Exceptions.
  6. Under Processes to be omitted by the Realtime Protection click on the ... button (the one that has three dots and no name).
  7. Navigate to the Online Armor main folder (normally C:\Program Files\Online Armor).
  8. Select the file to be excluded, and click on the Open button.
  9. Click the Add>> button just to the right to add the file to the list of excluded items (please add at least every EXE in the Online Armor folder, and if you can add the other files then do that as well).
  10. After adding all three files, click Apply at the bottom.
  11. Click the X button in the upper-right corner to close the Configuration window.
  12. Close Avira Free Antivirus.

Edit: Our developers are also recommending that you restart your computer after adding those exclusions.

Could you please add the following file as Trusted in Online Armor?

C:\Documents and Settings\%your_user_name%\Local Settings\Temp\RtkBtMnt.exe

Also, we recommend adding the following folder to the exclusions in addition to the main Avira folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Avira\

Make sure to restart your computer after that, and let me know if you are still having trouble. ;)