slopes

Performance still poor after uninstalling av

I think I'm in over my head.

I removed avg 2013 after installing the Emsisoft internet security pack.After the second

attempt it disappeared from the programs and features list,performance improved a bit

but it's still slow.

I have read that avg 2013 is difficult to completely remove,I still have a number of "avg" showing up

in computer search.

I disabled everything in msconfig startup except emsisoft and one microsoft that reappeared.

I disabled everything in msconfig service except hidden microsoft.

Boot time has improved a lot but performance online is so slow I don't want to use it.

If I shut down OA performance is great,

Please excuse my ignorance, I'm new here and have a lot to learn.I am willing to get outside help

if I need to but would prefer to learn from this.

Thanks

Thanks for your quick reply Stapp

oK ran it and that seemed to make things worse,ran it again

and still having problems.Shut off oa works great,turn it on

it slows down This is the removal tool I downloaded

avg_remover_stf_x64_2013_2706

There really should be no need to turn services etc off in order to make OA work correctly.

I would suggest you put things back to default.

Is it only when browsing that you have the slowdown?

What browser do you use?

When you look in OA program list (with the ''hide trusted'' tickbox at the bottom of the page unticked) are all programs showing as 'allowed' and ' trusted' ?(green in colour0

Yes just having the issue when browsing

I enabled back all on msconfig service and all but 2 on msconfig startup

The 2 I unchecked for startup promted a autorun warning for avg_ secure seach roc_roc_nt.exe

I have avg set to ask in programs

This has put boot time back to critical 94126 ms

Most of trusted and allowed on program list are green,over 2 dozen are gray and a dozen are yellow

Thanks again for your help

Forgot,I'm using chrome

Just wondering why you have avg set to ask in oa programs?

If you trust it to be installed on your machine then you should trust it in oa programs.

Does it make any difference if you allow and trust it in oa, reboot and then go online?

Or as a test uninstall avg safe search , reboot and then see if the problem still exists.

I'm trying to get rid of all the avg,as I think it is causing a conflict with oa.I changed it to ask because I suspected it was not removed completely,hence the removal tool you sent the link for...

My performance did improve a bit after the initial uninstall of avg a few days ago but the removal tool I used today did not seem to help.

If avg was completely removed why would it still show up in msconfig startup and show up in a computer search?

I'm not sure where to go from here.

That looks about right. Of course all of them may not be there anyway.

How about trying to look for one at a time and seeing how you manage?

Yes you may need to show hidden files and folders as it points out in the link

Some folders could be hidden by default Windows settings. To view hidden files and folders please read How To Display Hidden Files And Folders

Unhide, and have another look.

Perhaps some more thorough action is needed.

You could uninstall OA to make sure it doesn't interfere with the following steps, reboot twice, reinstall AVG and the uninstall it again.

This should enable the avg uninstaller to remove all the leftover file and driver remnants.

OA can then be reinstalled.

I know it sounds like hard work but it may be the only way to make sure those AVG remnants are removed

There should be no problem at all using your key, if there is let us know and one of the admins will see to it for you.

Make sure you are online when you install of course :)

Yes!!! it worked!! Followed your instructions and did another search for the avg folders,none found

Thank you so much Stapp, we have OA working great and I have learned a lot from this.

Have a great weekend! :)