lorac

network traffic remains blocked

Hi,

For a while, on a number of occasions, OA has failed to unblock network traffic on request. The only way to regain network traffic was to close OA and reopen after the network was visible again. This didn't happen on every occasion, however. Today, have installed a new modem, a Virgin Superhub, and this problem seems to be quite persistent now. If I block network traffic, it either takes minutes to unblock, or doesn't unblock, requiring me to close OA and reopen after network becomes unblocked. Is there perhaps a delay setting I can alter, or something to do with permissions for the network? Grateful if you could advise. Thanks.

We'll probably need some logs to see what the problem is. The next time this happens, please open Online Armor, go to Options in the menu on the left, click the little check box to enable debug mode, restart your computer, and then try reproducing your problem with allowing the blocked traffic. After that, please ZIP your entire logs folder (normally C:\Program Files\Online Armor\Logs), upload it to a website such as RapidShare/DepositFiles/BayFiles/etc (which one you use is up to you), and then copy and paste the link to download the file into a reply (or you can send it to me in a Private Message if you don't want the link posted publicly on the forums). Note that, if you don't have a utility such as 7-Zip, WinZip, or WinRar that you can ZIP files and folders by right-clicking on them, going to Send To, and clicking on Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Thanks, Arthur. Sorry, but OA seems to be shutting off internet access when I've been browsing for a short while. This seems to have happened twice. Think it's an OA issue, as access is restored after shutting down OA. Have sent a PM with log file, latest part of which will include this issue.

Regards.

OK, I will forward it on to our developers as well.

Edit: You may also want to disable debug mode, as those logs are getting pretty large. ;)

Our developers are asking what happens if, after unblocking all traffic in Online Armor and seeing that it is still blocking the traffic, you run the network connection diagnostic. You should be able to right-click on your network connection and select 'Repair', and see if that fixes it. There should also be an option to troubleshoot the connection if the repair option doesn't help.

Sorry Arthur, didn't see your message until today.  Will try the network connection diagnostic and see what happens.  With the internet access issue while browsing, it always shuts down after browsing for 20 mins or so now.  I can resume browsing when I shut down OA, and wait a moment. Then I can restart OA.  Will try the network connection diagnostic in both these cases and let you know what happens.

Best regards

Hi Arthur,

Have decided to try uninstalling OA, then reinstalling, as wondered whether perhaps a fresh install might solve the problem encountered after installing the Virgin Superhub, if the OA installation took place after the Superhub was already on the network.  Will let you know what happens.

Best regards

Hi Arthur,

Well, not good news so far.  While browsing the connection was shut down after approximately 10 minutes, and, as usual, only returned on closing OA.  Also, have experienced the network failing to unblock after taking OA off "block all network traffic".  So, I guess the situation is pretty similar to before the reinstall.  Shame, I was really hoping the reinstall might fix it!

Best regards

What happens if you reboot after taking OA off  'block all network traffic'? Do you have it on this setting often or is it just a test for this?

/off topic

good luck with the Virgin superhub, many posts online about its performance, also have a friend with one, he calls it a superdud !

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/09/18/virgin_media_superhub_still_failing_punters

/back on topic

Hi Stapp, 

If I reboot after taking OA off "block all network traffic" then the connection is fine after the reboot.  Also, if I reboot after the connection becomes blocked while browsing, the connection is also fine after the reboot.  I find it quicker though just to shut down OA and restart OA, as the connection returns immediately after shutting down OA.  And, yes, I do use the "block all network traffic" quite often, I guess.

/Off topic

Interesting link on the Superhub.  We have had a bit of trouble with the wireless, too.

Hello,

I actually meant creating a dhcp reservation in your VM SuperHub's webinterface for your computer.

Then you'd be able to specify that address in your TCP/IP4 settings (properties of your wireless/wired connection) and

the problem'd go away (at least it was not reproducible after I specified a static IP in my testing environment)

Just to add to what Andrey said, after you set a reserved IP address for your computer in your router, you can set your PC to a static IP address. Here are some instructions for doing that:

• Click on the Start button.
  • Type network connections in the search field.
  • Select View network connections from the search results.
  • Right-click on your network adapter, and select Properties.
  • Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) from the list and click the Properties button.
  • Select Use the following IP address, enter the IP address you wish to use (if it requires you to enter a Subnet mask, then just enter the same thing your router is using, which is normally 255.255.255.0), and then click OK.
  • Click OK to close the properties for your network connection.
  • Close the network connections, and check to see if you are still having the issue with Online Armor.

Hi,

It looks as though OA is now back to normal.  After creating a dhcp reservation, there seem to be no problems with browsing, and OA is letting me unblock network traffic right away, even after long periods of time.  Will keep an eye on it, but it looks as though the problem is solved.  Do you think the problem occurred because of the changing IP address?

Thank you Andrey and Arthur for your help.  Much appreciated. 

Best regards