hek3

Scheduled scan fails to run

I set the software to run an update daily at 4:30 AM. I set up an automatic scan to run daily at 4:45 AM. The update runs as scheduled. The scan does not. Nothing complicated setting up either. The setup pages for both update and scan are just about the same. No big mystery. Straight forward. Been all over it numerous times. Cannot figure out why the scan won't run. What am I missing?

• For both it is simply "run at" with the times entered. Then the "Daily" radio button is toggled. They are the only two entries for "Daily" on each. All other fields go dark. Nothing else can be entered.

Arthur:  Two more days since you last responded and one day short of a week since week started this thread.  Not the kind of support I expected.  I cant believe the solution is all that complicated.  Why are we supposing it has something to do with the software anyway?  Why was the problem escalated?  I was just thinking I set up something wrong... that the mistake was not necessarilly documented, and that you would just set me straight

Why are we supposing it has something to do with the software anyway?

Because the software has its own scheduling system, and based on the settings you have described it should be working.

Why was the problem escalated?

I was hoping to get some feedback from our developers on whether or not there were any issues with the scheduling that they know about, or if there was any information that they wanted me to collect.

Since I am not getting any feedback from the developers that I have e-mailed, I will set up a testing environment and see if I can reproduce the issue with the scheduled daily scan not running.

OK, I have confirmed that daily scheduled scans do not run, and I have opened a bug report in our system. Our developers will start working on it as soon as they can. ;)

Our developers are not able to reproduce the issue, and upon further review I had one of the settings incorrect for the scheduled scan, so it was only set to run every Friday. Now that I've fixed that, the daily scheduled scans are running just fine.

Please verify that your scheduled scan settings are the same as in the screenshot below (note that the actual time doesn't matter, and that you can change the time of the scan to test and see if it is working). If the screenshot is too small, you can click on it to see a larger version.

My configuraturation is exactly as you have depicted.  As I said in my first thread, it is simple and straight forward.  There must be something else at work here.

The problem persists.  Do we have even an offer of an explanation as to what might be wrong?  Software is, and has been, set exactly as you specify above and still, automatic scans do not run.  This is getting a little old.  It is the only thing that does not totally impress me about the software.  Everything else is dead on... catches everything.  Please advise.

I can't give you detailed advise since that's up to GT500 to decide. But as it looks now the only thing you can do is to provide Emsisoft with more information about your issue. Since they can't reproduce it on their side they need to analyze it on your computer.

Meaning: You could either get the needed debug information by yourself (using DebugView to collect the debug information of EAM and Fiddler to collect the network traffic). Mainly this would go like this: Change a setting so that EAM outputs debug information, start DebugView and Fiddler, reproduce your issue, save the data DebugView and Fiddler have collected and send it to Emsisoft.

The other possiblity could be to allow Emsisoft to use some remote access tool to analyze the issue on your side and collect the needed information by themselves.

My apologies for the slow response.

I have been waiting for our developers to let me know what information they need to facilitate debugging this, but they haven't replied yet, so lets just get some DebugView logs and pass those along to them. If they need more information than that, then we can get that information later.

Before we can get logs from DebugView, we'll need to set a registry entry that will tell Emsisoft Anti-Malware to output debug information that DebugView can see and save in its log. The following file eam_enable_debug_output.zip contains a batch file which, when run with administrative rights, will automatically create that registry entry for you. Please download this file, extract the batch file from it (it will also be named eam_enable_debug_output), and run the batch file (if your computer is running Windows Vista or Windows 7 then please make sure to right-click on the batch file and select to Run as administrator):

After that, please restart your computer, and then proceed with the instructions below:

• Download DebugView from this link:
  • When downloading, make sure to save it on your Desktop instead of clicking 'Run' or 'Open'.
  • Right-click on the 'DebugView' file that you just saved on your Desktop, and select "Extract All".
  • Before running DebugView, you will need to add a process exclusion to Emsisoft Anti-Malware to prevent crashing issues. Here are the instructions:
    • Please go ahead and open Emsisoft Anti-Malware from the icon on the desktop.
    • click on Guard in the menu on the left.
    • Go to the File Guard tab.
    • Click on the Manage whitelist link on the left, just above 'Alerts'.
    • On the left, under where it says Type, click on where it says File and change it to Process.
    • Click in the white space to the right of where you just changed 'File' to 'Process', under where it says Item, and a little button with three dots on it will appear to the right.
    • Click on the button with the three dots.
    • Navigate to the folder where DebugView is saved (this should be on your desktop), select the Dbgview file, and click the Open button in the lower-right.
    • Click OK at the bottom to save the settings, and then close Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  • Set a scheduled daily scan to happen in a few minutes, and then restart your computer.
  • Open the new DebugView folder that was created on your Desktop after extracting.
  • Windows XP and 2000 users should double-click on the file named 'Dbgview'. Windows 7 and Vista users should right-click and select "Run as Administrator".
  • Click on the 'Capture' menu, and select everything except "Log Boot" (you will have to open the menu again after clicking to select an item).
  • Wait for the time that the scan was supposed to run at to pass (DebugView needs to be running when the scan fails to run).
  • After the time for the scan to run has passed, please go to 'File' in DebugView, and save the log on your desktop.
  • Please attach that log file to a reply so that we may analyze it for errors. You will need to use the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type in your reply in order to access the attachment controls.
  • Note: You may need to ZIP the log file in order to attach it. If you do not have a program such as 7-Zip, WinZip, WinRar, etc. then you can right-click on the log file, go to Send to, and click on Compressed (zipped) folder. You will be able to attach the ZIP archive to a reply.

My apologies for the slow response.

I have been waiting for our developers to let me know what information they need to facilitate debugging this, but they haven't replied yet, so lets just get some DebugView logs and pass those along to them. If they need more information than that, then we can get that information later.

Before we can get logs from DebugView, we'll need to set a registry entry that will tell Emsisoft Anti-Malware to output debug information that DebugView can see and save in its log. The following file eam_enable_debug_output.zip contains a batch file which, when run with administrative rights, will automatically create that registry entry for you. Please download this file, extract the batch file from it (it will also be named eam_enable_debug_output), and run the batch file (if your computer is running Windows Vista or Windows 7 then please make sure to right-click on the batch file and select to Run as administrator):

attachicon.gifeam_enable_debug_output.zip

After that, please restart your computer, and then proceed with the instructions below:

• Download DebugView from this link:
  • When downloading, make sure to save it on your Desktop instead of clicking 'Run' or 'Open'.
  • Right-click on the 'DebugView' file that you just saved on your Desktop, and select "Extract All".
  • Before running DebugView, you will need to add a process exclusion to Emsisoft Anti-Malware to prevent crashing issues. Here are the instructions:
    • Please go ahead and open Emsisoft Anti-Malware from the icon on the desktop.
    • click on Guard in the menu on the left.
    • Go to the File Guard tab.
    • Click on the Manage whitelist link on the left, just above 'Alerts'.
    • On the left, under where it says Type, click on where it says File and change it to Process.
    • Click in the white space to the right of where you just changed 'File' to 'Process', under where it says Item, and a little button with three dots on it will appear to the right.
    • Click on the button with the three dots.
    • Navigate to the folder where DebugView is saved (this should be on your desktop), select the Dbgview file, and click the Open button in the lower-right.
    • Click OK at the bottom to save the settings, and then close Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  • Set a scheduled daily scan to happen in a few minutes, and then restart your computer.
  • Open the new DebugView folder that was created on your Desktop after extracting.
  • Windows XP and 2000 users should double-click on the file named 'Dbgview'. Windows 7 and Vista users should right-click and select "Run as Administrator".
  • Click on the 'Capture' menu, and select everything except "Log Boot" (you will have to open the menu again after clicking to select an item).
  • Wait for the time that the scan was supposed to run at to pass (DebugView needs to be running when the scan fails to run).
  • After the time for the scan to run has passed, please go to 'File' in DebugView, and save the log on your desktop.
  • Please attach that log file to a reply so that we may analyze it for errors. You will need to use the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type in your reply in order to access the attachment controls.
  • Note: You may need to ZIP the log file in order to attach it. If you do not have a program such as 7-Zip, WinZip, WinRar, etc. then you can right-click on the log file, go to Send to, and click on Compressed (zipped) folder. You will be able to attach the ZIP archive to a reply.

FYI Mr. Wilkinson, Yesterday I noticed my daily scans also were not occurring (at least for the past couple of days). I had the daily radio button selected. I changed to weekly and selected all the days of the week. It did run yesterday-I am waiting to see if it runs today.

... I changed to weekly and selected all the days of the week. It did run yesterday-I am waiting to see if it runs today.

That's interesting. I don't think I've tried testing that. Let me know if it works. ;)

That's interesting. I don't think I've tried testing that. Let me know if it works. ;)

It has now worked 2 days running. :)  :)  That method seems to work-I think I'll change it back to the daily radio button today and see what happens tomorrow. :unsure:

...I think I'll change it back to the daily radio button today and see what happens tomorrow. :unsure:

Would you be willing to try the DebugView instructions I posted above and send me the log if it fails to run the scheduled scan?

Would you be willing to try the DebugView instructions I posted above and send me the log if it fails to run the scheduled scan?

I'm on it-setting it up now...scan is scheduled for 9AM EST.

OK, if you have any DebugView logs for me, then please feel free to send them to me in a private message. ;)

I started the topic but lost hope and did not monitor the follow-ups.  Glad to see that someone else is having the problem.  I will eventually go through the debug/reporting process GT500 outlines above, but for right now, I am just too busy.  I am going to try TomFace's work around by setting the scan to run on each individual day of the week.  I should get into the debug/reporting process sometime next.  Have to go this route cause I've been limping along taking time out of my work day to run scans.  I need something to work right now and scan the machine automatically at night when it is otherwise idle.

I started the topic but lost hope and did not monitor the follow-ups.  Glad to see that someone else is having the problem.  I will eventually go through the debug/reporting process GT500 outlines above, but for right now, I am just too busy.  I am going to try TomFace's work around by setting the scan to run on each individual day of the week.  I should get into the debug/reporting process sometime next.  Have to go this route cause I've been limping along taking time out of my work day to run scans.  I need something to work right now and scan the machine automatically at night when it is otherwise idle.

hek3-my settings recently have been set to daily and it has been running-please let me know if changing to every day of the week works-if not, run the debug logs for GT500. Another thought, you could try uninstall/reinstall. Might be worth a shot. But GT500 is the expert here 8) (and really a decent guy).

Hang in there~~~ :)  :) :)  

Don't worry if it takes some time before you are able to deal with this. If we can get the logs, then I can send them to our developers and they can take a closer look at them, and hopefully discover the cause. ;)

Please note that Emsisoft Anti-Malware version 7.0.0.17 has been released, which includes a fix for the scheduler. Please let me know if you are still experiencing issues with daily scheduled scans after updating to version 7.0.0.17. ;)