andrey

Emsisoft InternetSecurityPack and Zemana Antilogger

Hello!

As experienced users - is it possible to use the Zemana Antilogger together with Emsisoft ISP to strengthen the protection of computer?

Or absolutely it is enough to use only the Emsisoft?

The question because the Zemana says about the lack of application of the only anti-virus and the  firewall. ;)

Of course, I understand that EAM+OA - this deeper level of protection than just anti-virus and firewall! :)

But all the same?

It is possible, but I doubt it will strengthen the protection. It will just add a lot of overhead and more alerts. Online Armor does pretty much everything Zemana does except detecting man in the browser attacks. That being said, man in the browser attacks are impossible to pull off with Online Armor installed, as it involves code injection techniques that are detected and prevented by Online Armor (as well as Emsisoft Anti-Malware by the way). That is also why we got a perfect score at MRG's financial malware test that is based around man in the browser attacks without offering any man in the browser specific detection, simply because those types of attacks have already been covered by both Emsisoft Anti-Malware as well as Online Armor for years, even before they were used by malware.

Hello!

Thank you very much,Fabian!

This is a report (MRG) that I read.

It is clear that Emsisoft (EAM+OA) is the best protection! :)

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I was also considering adding Zemana to my security setup.

But besides the original poster strictly speaking I was considering http://www.zemana.com/product/antilogger-free/overview/'>Zemana AntiLogger Free since the paid version includes many features which are already covered by Online Armor's HIPS. I thought that the keystroke scrambling of Zemana could help protect me from malware which went through AM+OA's radar.

So my question is: In such a scenario do you think a "keystroke scrambling" feature is reasonable to prevent keyloggers from getting the correct credentials?

(I know the software is still in beta, but got http://www.zemana.com/WhatsNew.aspx?ProductID=6'>many updates lately.)

Online Armor stops keyloggers from logging your key strokes in the first place. There is one known attack that isn't covered by Online Armor at the moment (because it is implemented in Java Script and runs within your browser) but scrambling won't help in that case either as the browser is required to see the unscrambled keys and therefore the Java Script keylogger will see the unscrambled keys as well. So at least in my opinion I don't see the point of adding keyscrambling on top of Online Armor as it has no practical benefit but greatly increases the risk of potential conflicts or incompatibilities.

• Upvote 1

It is possible, but I doubt it will strengthen the protection. It will just add a lot of overhead and more alerts. Online Armor does pretty much everything Zemana does except detecting man in the browser attacks. That being said, man in the browser attacks are impossible to pull off with Online Armor installed, as it involves code injection techniques that are detected and prevented by Online Armor (as well as Emsisoft Anti-Malware by the way). That is also why we got a perfect score at MRG's financial malware test that is based around man in the browser attacks without offering any man in the browser specific detection, simply because those types of attacks have already been covered by both Emsisoft Anti-Malware as well as Online Armor for years, even before they were used by malware.

I have to second the motion on what Fabian has stated. I also have a valid license for Zemana however that is just complicating matters and doubling up on what is not needed. Online Armor along with Anti-Malware is sufficient protection at this point in time.

Hello!

If I understand correctly, OA does not protect against man-in-the-middle-attack!

But Zemana Antilogger - protects?

... OA does not protect against man-in-the-middle-attack!

That's not the kind of attack that Fabian was talking about. He was talking about an attack called man-in-the-browser. Fabian is saying that while Online Armor won't detect that type of attack, it will prevent any module that attempts to pull it off from loading. ;)

As for an actual man-in-the-middle attack, if that is done remotely (such as at your ISP), then the only protection would be strong data encryption.

Thank You.

Strong data encryption...

Here will help CyberGhost VPN?

Because it creates an encrypted tunnel!

I would believe that CyberGhost VPN is meant to aid in anonymity on the Internet, as opposed to data security. The VPN connection from your computer to their servers should be secure if it is using a proper encryption (such as a 256-bit AES encryption), however from their servers to whatever website you are browsing/uploading to will only be secure if the website is using a proper TLS encrypted connection over HTTPS (or a properly encrypted FTP connection).

Thank You, Arthur.

If I understand correctly (sorry my English), CG VPN provides anonymity, but reduces the security?

But it can't be...

However, it is already, probably, is not included in the scope of the forum Emsisoft...

If I understand correctly (sorry my English), CG VPN provides anonymity, but reduces the security?

No, it should not reduce security. I was merely saying that it is not intended to increase security. ;)